Why is there no recycle bin for WHS shares available? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was just wondering if it is somehow possible to enable a recycle bin for the shared folders on WHS. I have accidentally deleted some files that were not yet backuped, and didn't find a way to get them back, why? There is a recycle bin on the WHS desktop, but it does not contain any data that was deleted from the shares. This is really annoying, most NAS-devices have this feature, why is it missing on WHS?

Friday, February 11, 2011 9:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    Recycle bin does not work for server shares.

Previous versions functionality that can be made available for server shares is disabled for technical reasons that are duscussed in some other treads in this forum.

The only way to retrieve your files would be from the backup: strongly recommened to have one of any important data you store on your server.
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 11:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Recycle bin does not work for server shares.

Previous versions functionality that can be made available for server shares is disabled for technical reasons that are duscussed in some other treads in this forum.

The only way to retrieve your files would be from the backup: strongly recommened to have one of any important data you store on your server.
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 11:23 PM
  • Thanks for the authoritative reply Theo.

Can't help feeling that whatever the reasons, the fact that no recycle bin-like functionality is available on the WHS share which is now mapped to my D drive - which was previously a USB attached external drive and which most of the time I forget is now on a server - is a shocking situation fro MS to have arrived at.

Just as with pulling drive extender etc, you just get the feeling that Microsoft just can't get a grip on file system technology.

Sunday, December 18, 2011 3:14 PM