How to rejoin to the same computer account? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have messed up my WHS computer account in the following way:
    I have an XP client, connected to the WHS server since a long time and have a regular backups on the WHS.
    This XP client is indeed a virtual machine only.
    Recently (to make some tests), I have started a 2nd virtual machine using the copies of the virtual disks of my XP client. The two (identical) virtual machines was active on my network at the same time, and the 2nd one (the test only) connected to the WHS too. At this moment both machines are reported some problem with the WHS configuration and the Home Server notification icon turned to red.
    I have stopped the 2nd virtual machine (the test) and wanted to rejoin to the Home Server from my 1st machine. It was successfull, but it joined as a new computer - with the same name as before.
    It means, that all my backups are useless, because I cannot rejoin to the same computer. I have now two computer with the same name, the active one has no backups, only the inactive has.

How can I resolve this? I want to rejoin to my original computer...

Friday, June 5, 2009 3:05 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your reply,

I have managed it, with some registry hacking.
    On the server, the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients" key holds the registered machine identifiers.
    My original identifier had a value "Joined = Dups" and the "MacAddress" was filled with the address of the test machine.
    I have put here the original MAC address and changed the "Dups" to "Yes", and made a new discovery on my old machine - and voila: it has "rejoined" to the original identifier.

• Marked as answer by p0macs Friday, June 5, 2009 6:26 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 4:53 PM

All replies

• There's really no need to rejoin the VM to the old computer backups. The backups are there and accessible and, because of the way Windows Home Server stores backups, you are not going to waste significant space as a result of backing up to the "new" computer. So you can open, browse, restore, etc. from the old backups with no problem.

If it's really important (I honestly don't think it is, but...), you could try restoring the most recent backup from the "old" VM. That will likely get everything working.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 5, 2009 3:15 PM
  • Thanks for your reply,

I have managed it, with some registry hacking.
    On the server, the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients" key holds the registered machine identifiers.
    My original identifier had a value "Joined = Dups" and the "MacAddress" was filled with the address of the test machine.
    I have put here the original MAC address and changed the "Dups" to "Yes", and made a new discovery on my old machine - and voila: it has "rejoined" to the original identifier.

• Marked as answer by p0macs Friday, June 5, 2009 6:26 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 4:53 PM