User and Group Security RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Under "Server Settings" I've created a new group and a new user.  Within the group I have ticked every possible "Global Permission" available.  The user I created has been added to this group, and I have also ticked every possible "Global Permission".  When I login with this user under "Project Center" all I see is red text saying "Access Denied".  If I add this user to one of the existing groups it works fine.

To explain more of what I'm trying to achieve, our organisation is looking to use a customized version of the "Sample Proposal" to submit business cases.  Basically any registered user should be able to create a proposal though not perform any approvals etc.  When the user submits the proposal I have included some code that looks up their department in active directory and then sends the approval to the appropriate department manager for review.  So, the plan is to create a group per department and only have the manager's view and approve/reject proposals relating to them.

I hope this makes sense.  Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers,

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 4:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Craigmay,

you don’t mention any version? If you are asking for 2007 or 2010. Since you are write “Sample Proposal” I assume you are asking for 2010?

When you describe what you have done so far, there is one point missing. It seems that you haven’t done anything regarding categories. You need to add an appropriate category. If you open group “Portfolio Managers” and click on “My Organization” in section “Categories”, you will see that an additional list is opened. This defines what members of a group can do with projects and resources. To what projects and resources this does apply, is defined in the category. The category also defines which views are allowed for a user and what can be displayed in these views. Since you haven't defined a category for this group, no views are associated and you get "Access denied".

You need to get a kind of connection between your group and a category. Have a look at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197354.aspx, it describes the concept for groups and categories for 2010 (concept is similar to 2007, names and default setting changed slightly).

For 2007 it is excellent described in "Implementing and Administering Microsoft Office Project Server 2007" by Gary Chefetz and Dale Howard. Their book for 2010 should be available in the near future.

Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Craigmay,

you don’t mention any version? If you are asking for 2007 or 2010. Since you are write “Sample Proposal” I assume you are asking for 2010?

When you describe what you have done so far, there is one point missing. It seems that you haven’t done anything regarding categories. You need to add an appropriate category. If you open group “Portfolio Managers” and click on “My Organization” in section “Categories”, you will see that an additional list is opened. This defines what members of a group can do with projects and resources. To what projects and resources this does apply, is defined in the category. The category also defines which views are allowed for a user and what can be displayed in these views. Since you haven't defined a category for this group, no views are associated and you get "Access denied".

You need to get a kind of connection between your group and a category. Have a look at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197354.aspx, it describes the concept for groups and categories for 2010 (concept is similar to 2007, names and default setting changed slightly).

For 2007 it is excellent described in "Implementing and Administering Microsoft Office Project Server 2007" by Gary Chefetz and Dale Howard. Their book for 2010 should be available in the near future.

Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:02 AM
  • Thanks Barbara,

Yes, as you guessed, it's PS 2010.  The concept of Categories was new to me but the link you provided answered many of the questions I had around security.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 3:41 AM