non-genuine xp pro to be replaced by genuine version RRS feed

• Question

• xp pro was put onto my computer when I had some upgrades completed; however, it turns out it can't be validated. My solution was to buy my own xp pro (OEM). I've been told I don't have to load the entire programme to save me from having to put all my data back onto my computer. Unfortunately no one can tell me how. Is there anyone who can help?

Saturday, November 3, 2007 5:13 PM

Answers

• Hello CDNNAV,

Yes the best options would be a complete fresh installation when you purchase Windows. Please review the following website for useful information for preparing to install Windows:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/default.mspx .  Right now you have no idea if there are any virus or malware installed because the version of Windows may not be genuine. In turn this is why I recommend a fresh install. 

Did a computer repair facility install Windows on your system when you had the upgrades? Also do you have the original Windows software which you originally purchased prior the upgrades? I would recommend to uninstall the existing Windows and install your previous genuine version of Windows until you make a decision if your going to upgrade. Please visit the following webpage http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ and locate the piracy tab. You can file a piracy report. First I would work with who installed Windows and request either your monies back or to provide you with a genuine product key and software. Also you may use purchase the WGA Kit which was offered to you for $149.00 which is the full version. Hopefully this was able to provide you with assistance. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, November 5, 2007 10:26 PM

All replies

• Hello CDNNAV,

Yes the best options would be a complete fresh installation when you purchase Windows. Please review the following website for useful information for preparing to install Windows:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/default.mspx .  Right now you have no idea if there are any virus or malware installed because the version of Windows may not be genuine. In turn this is why I recommend a fresh install. 

Did a computer repair facility install Windows on your system when you had the upgrades? Also do you have the original Windows software which you originally purchased prior the upgrades? I would recommend to uninstall the existing Windows and install your previous genuine version of Windows until you make a decision if your going to upgrade. Please visit the following webpage http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ and locate the piracy tab. You can file a piracy report. First I would work with who installed Windows and request either your monies back or to provide you with a genuine product key and software. Also you may use purchase the WGA Kit which was offered to you for $149.00 which is the full version. Hopefully this was able to provide you with assistance. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, November 5, 2007 10:26 PM
  • Thanks Stephen. I've gone with a complete fresh installation. A little inconvenient but having so recently replaced my hard drive there really isn't all that much I have to reload. Lessons learned all around!
    Tuesday, November 6, 2007 5:25 PM
  •  

CDnnav,

I am glad to hear your up and running. Anytime you perform major upgrades it is a good idea to always reformat the system. Next I would recommend for you to plan a regular backup strategy. Data loss has been something I have seen so many times. Establish a plan and perform a routine backup schedule will prevent users from loosing their critical data, picturess, music files or whatever is of value to the end user. Adding a second internal hard drive located on a different controller or using an external hard drive is a great way to back up data.

Take care

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 6:00 PM