Remote Desktop - some issues RRS feed

• General discussion

• 1) On my machine at work and at home I have setup the Taskbar to be on the top of the screen (instead of the bottom).  When using Live Mesh Remote Desktop to connect from my home XP SP3 machine to my work Vista Business SP1 - in non-maximized mode - it puts that blue bar (that says 'You are connected to...') at the top of the screen and directley over the taskbar - which therefore makes it not very easy to see the things on the taskbar and click on them. (When you are in 'maximized' mode it puts that blue bar directly below the taskbar - so it is not a problem then)

(When I am referring to 'maximized' mode i am NOT referring to the 'Show desktop as actual size' / 'Fit desktop to window options' - I am referring to the little arrow on that blue bar at the top of the screen)

2) Also - when first connected - another blue bar is behind the 'You are connected to...' message - its the '%Username% is connected - press CRTL + ALT + DELETE to disconnect' message.  But this went away after I went between maximized and minimized modes a couple times.

3) Another thing that is odd is that whenever going from minimized to maximized - a beige / yellow bar appears at the top of the screen (it looks very similar to the one used in Remote Desktop Connection that comes with XP and Vista) - it has no text in it and it disappears after a couple seconds.

4) When I first connect the performance of loading the initial screen is very slow - but as soon as the whole screen has been loaded - the performance goes up considerably - is this normal / to be expected?

Anyone else experiencing this stuff?

Also is there a way to upload images into these posts? (that way i could show exactly what is going on)

Scott
    • Edited by Scotis Wednesday, May 21, 2008 8:12 AM clarified subject
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 8:11 AM

All replies

• I see 2 and 3.

I'd also like to see more controls like you have in Remote Desktop like the ability to NOT display the remote machine's background since this makes things very slow.  Sometimes I see the remote machine's background and sometimes I don't.  I don't seem to have any control (but I assume underneath it's using the same RD code.)

Also the multiple monitor support isn't very good.  It crams both of my remote monitors into the window on the local computer which is fine but then when I try to maximize it on the local computer it only uses one of my two monitors AND the window isn't even maximized on that one monitor.  So I've still got the 2 remote monitors crammed into a window that is smaller than a single monitor.
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 3:04 PM
  • Hi,

We are working hard to improve the Live Mesh Remote Desktop experience in general (and also support for various multi-monitor configurations specifically).  Improving the Live Mesh Remote Desktop experience is one of the most common requests from those testing Live Mesh, so it is definitely high on our priority list.

Scott: If you have not done so already, would you mind submitting a bug report on the specific issues that you mention?  Also, if you submit through Connect and are willing to post your Connect Bug ID here, others can vote on it - which will give it more visibility to the team. :)

Thanks,

Ben.

------------------------------------------------

To submit a bug with your logs attached:

Please go to http://connect.microsoft.com/. Sign in and then select Live Mesh Tech Preview on Your Dashboard.  Click Feedback and follow the instructions for collecting your logs and then submit a bug.

To get your logs:

1.  Click Start.
    2.  Select All Programs and look for the Live Mesh folder.
    3.  Click
    Collect Live Mesh Logs.
    4.  Your logs will be bundled together in a cab file now located on your desktop.

Attach your LiveMeshLogs.cab file located on your desktop to your bug.

Note: you will have to submit a bug first, then edit it to attach your logs.

If you do not have access to the Live Mesh Connect site, you can email your logs to lmprev@microsoft.com.  Please provide as much information about your issue as you can in that email.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 7:08 PM