none
New Install RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am getting ready to install WHS. I currently have an 80GB drive, and a 300GB drive. Should I use my 80GB as my system drive or my 300GB for my system drive? I also have 2 USB drives, 1@250GB and 1@500GB.

thanks in advance.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 2:50 PM

Answers

• Microsoft recommend that you use your largest available drive as your system drive and consensus on here is that a drive of between 300 and 500GB is the size to aim for.

Your 80GB drive is next to useless for WHS as the server retains about 20GB on each drive for file expansion, leaving you with less than 60GB.

After you have WHS installed, you could then use the two USB drives as storage space, but do not run the two drives off a hub, or off the same USB Host Controller as the congestion caused could well lead to problems.

Whatever hardware you intend using, check prior to installing that you have Server 2003 drivers available for whatever needs them such as SATA, NIC etc. Using other versions isn't a supported scenario and can lead to all sorts of nebulous problems down the line.

Colin 

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 3:03 PM