Installing Archiving Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have a basic installation of OCS 2007 R2 Enterprise Edition in our test environment, and today I installed the Archiving Server role onto the CWA server. It installed correctly and created the database on the sql server, and I enabled archiving for all users. Then, I associated my Front-end with the archiving server in order to have it start archiving (I followed these steps: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd441347(office.13).aspx ). The second I did this, I could no longer communicate with the archiving server, and the OCS management snap-in locked up. I restarted my server, and the services will not start. They show up in my Services with a status of "Stopping".

How can I reverse the steps I've done and get back to where I was before I tried to get Archiving installed and working? Is there a way to get lcscmd to do what I need, since I can no longer manage OCS with the snap-in? I'd really like to not have to rebuild the front-end and CWA servers.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 7:25 PM

All replies

• Have you tried uninstalling the archservice.msi (located in the install folder\setup\amd64\setup

Mark King | C/D/H | MCTS:OCS | MCSE: Messaging | MCITP:Enterprise Administrator | CCNA
    Friday, October 2, 2009 12:42 AM
  • I just did that on the server where I had installed the Archiving Server role (also where my CWA server role is installed). That seemed to do what it was supposed to. It looks like my main problem, though, is that my Front-end won't start any more. On the main page of the snap-in (on the front-end), on the Front-end tab, I see "Retrieving data failed!" next to each service. When I try starting all stopped services, they simply don't start, and when I try to start the front-end service in the Services dialog, it just tells me "Windows could not start the Office Communications Server Front-End on Local Computer.

Also, when I right-click on my pool and select Properties -> Front-end Properties, it says:
    "Office Communications Server Snap-in cannot read some of the proxy information from Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI). Close Office Communications Server property pages, restart WMI, and then try again."
    Friday, October 2, 2009 12:55 PM
  • Have you verified the WMI service is working?  Are there relevant errors in the Office Communications Server event log related to starting the Front End Service?
    Mark King | C/D/H | MCTS:OCS | MCSE: Messaging | MCITP:Enterprise Administrator | CCNA
    Friday, October 2, 2009 12:58 PM
  • The WMI service is running, that is about all I know about it.

As for the event log, I see some WMI errors, so that may indicate where the problem is. The messages are very cryptic, though. Can you make some sense out of these:

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 30 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "MSFT_SIPProxySetting"" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041010. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 30 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "MSFT_SIPProxySetting"" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041010. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Other than those events, I dont see anything else related to OCS in the event log.
    Friday, October 2, 2009 1:03 PM
  • From these errors it appears to be a problem with the extensions to WMI that OCS implements.  Have you tried deleting the WBEM repository?  Here is the process:
    1. Stop the WMI Service
    2. Delete the contents of C:\Windows\System32\WBEM\Repository
    3. Reboot
    Friday, October 2, 2009 1:11 PM
  • It tells me I cannot delete those files because they are open in another program. (can you tell this is very unfamiliar territory for me? haha)
    Friday, October 2, 2009 1:39 PM
  • Don't worry about it, just want to get you up and running!  If you are running Server 08 make sure you are running an elevated command prompt (Run as administrator) and run net stop winmgmt first.

Friday, October 2, 2009 1:45 PM
  • ok, that allowed me to open up the snap-in and disable archiving on the front-end, so I'm getting somewhere. when i boot the server up now, though, the services are still all stopped, and i cannot start them manually. i'm really not sure what else would have changed when i associated the archiving server and broke it in the first place. what else can i check?
    Friday, October 2, 2009 3:10 PM
  • What appears in the event log on the FE server when the services fail to start manually?
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Friday, October 2, 2009 4:07 PM
  • I am seeing 7 events in the Office Communications Server log:

OCS Server: The service is starting.

OCS Protocol Stack: The server role was set to 'Enterprise Edition'.

OCS WMI Consumer: Server could not register for notifications for configuration changes for a class from the WMI Provider.

Class: MSFT_SIPProxySetting
    Cause: This could happen in some instances due to insufficient permissions or because the server is unable to contact the Active Directory (or SQL back-end).
    Resolution:
    Please make sure you have sufficient privileges and this computer can talk to the Active Directory (or SQL back-end).

OCS Server: Unable to initialize the protocol stack. The service has to stop.

Error code: 80041024 (wbemErrProviderNotCapable).

OCS Server: Failed starting the protocol stack. The service has to stop

Error code is:0x80041024 (wbemErrProviderNotCapable).
    Cause: Check the previous entries in the event log for the failure reason.
    Resolution:
    Try restarting the server after resolving the failures listed in the previous event log entries.

OCS Server: The service was stopped.
    Friday, October 2, 2009 4:37 PM
  • I think i am going to just rebuild the front-end on this ocs environment later today. then i will try to enable archiving again. good thing this is a test environment  :-)
    Monday, October 5, 2009 12:27 PM