Restore backup from commandline RRS feed

• Question

• I need some help or some advise

I have had a Windows Home Server 2003, which is removed and dismantled. On this server there was a backup of a PC. This PC has been stolen. I have one of the harddrive which was installed in the WHS found some backup files. I have tried to restore / unpack them  with different programs without success.
    I have installed WHS in 2003 again, but the new installation can not see the old backup, from the PC that has been stolen.

Is there a program that can unpack/ restore the files, or can you do a restore using a command in the Command Prompt?

Kind regards

Flemming

Thursday, May 6, 2010 5:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    unfortunately, if setup cannot see the former installation of WHS and does not offer a server reinstall (or you did not use that function) there is no way to restore the backup after. Restoring from an incomplete backup database is also not possible in a functioning WHS in the very most cases.

The only known way to do so would have been to migrate the backup to another format before shutting down the server, like explained in the FAQ How to archive a Client PC Backup from Windows Home Server Backup.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, May 6, 2010 8:49 PM