Happuage 2250 tv tuner with Vail RRS feed

• Question

• I am wondering if I can put a tv tuner in Vail to record OTA HD from an antenna. I don't want to use the WHS to display the video, but rather just record shows from the antenna to be played back through another device on the network (like a WD TV Live HD). Is that possible or does this absolutely need Windows Media Center?
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:13 PM

Answers

• It requires software on the server to control the tuner and record shows in a format that's supported by the data consumers. Vail doesn't include anything like that. In V1, users have added software like SageTV to their servers for this purpose, but I don't believe there's a version for Vail yet.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:42 PM

All replies

• It requires software on the server to control the tuner and record shows in a format that's supported by the data consumers. Vail doesn't include anything like that. In V1, users have added software like SageTV to their servers for this purpose, but I don't believe there's a version for Vail yet.
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:42 PM
  • So the software that comes with the tuner won't record the incoming stream at all?

Also, could I just use SageTV Recorder and not the media center version? Wouldn't that work for what I want?

I just want it to record incoming signals at certain times (i.e. shows on at 8pm CBS Tuesday or something like that) so I can playback via streaming to my media center later. Is that not viable yet?

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:15 PM
  • It may not install. If it does install, it may not function properly. You can certainly try it and see, but in the end, using your server as a PVR isn't part of Microsoft's picture of how Windows Home Server fits into the media side of the connected home. They see it as a central repository of media gathered from other devices in your home, which can then be served out to any media clients.

Windows Media Center is certainly not part of Vail, and I doubt it will ever be a part of any version of Windows Home Server. Also, using a Media Center PC (which includes using your server as one) generally requires regular interaction with the desktop, which isn't technically supported in Windows Home Server. So third party solutions are a requirement if you want to do this, and that usually means some inventiveness on the end user's (i.e. on your) part.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 8:12 PM
  • I understand what you're saying.

I guess you would need one system to store and one to record? A bit silly, but I guess it would eat into Windows profits on WHS vs Windows 7.

It shouldn't be difficult to get something like WinTV v7 to run on WHS Vail while ripping shows to the hard drive.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 8:21 PM
  • ah, but that is the flaw. DRM protected Recorded TV from cable card, etc. can
    NOT be handled this way. Microsoft's vision is a computer connected to every TV.
    On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:12:58 +0000, Ken Warren [MVP] wrote:

>They see it as a central repository of media gathered from other devices in your home, which can then be served out to any media clients.

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:18 AM
  • I think it would be more correct to say their vision doesn't include TV recorded on your server, or played directly by your server. You can store your recorded TV (recorded by Windows Media Center) any darned place you please, and as long as Windows Media Center is correctly configured, it will play, right? That means you can use any extender to watch it.

At the end of the day, though, you're right that you can't play TV recorded from a cable card except through Windows Media Center.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:27 PM