why is import org not working? RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded 3.0 to 4.0 on a dev server and backed up the DB.  I installed a new 4.0 version 64 bit on a prod server and restored the Dev server DB.
    For some reason it cannot find the database.  I get the Import Organization Wizard cannot connect to the SQL Server or cannot find an organization database on SBS.
    Verify that the server name in the SQL Server box is correct and that the computer is running MS SQL Server where an organization database is stored.

Am I missing something?
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:32 PM

Answers

• Great, I am glad it is working.  If you would please mark this post as answered.  thank you
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by cracicot Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:16 PM
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It looks to be an SQL Server issues, rather than CRM. Can you connect to your SQL deployment using e.g. SQL Server Management Studio? Can you connect to the server from the prod machine? If you verify that you cannot, I would suggest checking the Windows firewall settings and the connection types available in your SQL (named pipes? TCP only?)
    I assume that you backed up the db after you migrated CRM :).

Best regards,
    Kuba
    -- Kuba Skałbania, Netwise
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:58 PM
  • I can open up SMS no probs and the server is the prob machine.  I have windows firewall disabled.  Named pipes are disabled as well as VIA for the 64bit network config but named pipes is enabled for the native client config 64 bit.

1) would it have anything to do with the fact that MSSQL and Agent services are logged on as localsystem instead of networkservice?  reporting service and integration service are under networkservice.

2) would it have anything to do with the fact that the database I exported and want to import has permissions from a different domain and therefore the users are not the same domain? 
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 7:15 PM
  • Check if your sql browser service is started.
    check all your other sql services.
    Tiaan van Niekerk http://crmdelacreme.blogspot.com Skype:tiaan.van.niekerk1
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 7:45 PM
  • Hi,

Ad 1 - The accounts that are used to run the services should not have anything to do with the fact that you cannot find the db. The accounts, however, seem to be set properly

Ad 2 - Shouldn't have either.

Ok, tell us - have you restored the db to the new server yet? You can use import organization wizard only when the db is in place already. Do you have it on the same machine as CRM?

Best regards,
    Kuba

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 7:47 PM
  • Does the login you are using to Import the Org have full rights on the SQL server?  Also, does the new CRM 4 installation have the same updates as the server whose Organization you are trying to import. 

It is not going to hurt to change your SQL Service login to networkservice as a test.  Make sure you Async Service is running and check your event viewer for errors.  I assume you had a successful CRM 4 install and that you can access the Report Server http://sqlSeverName/reportserver.

You can also check the Implementation guide to ensure that the OS & SQL versions you are running are compatible with CRM 4.

Best Regards, Donna
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 7:49 PM
  • I have had the DB restored for hours now and still cannot find the answer to this problem.  I have started the browser service but it makes no difference.  Does it make a difference if the file extension is bak or not?

Everything is on the same 64bit server machine.  It all works normally but of course the database is empty with the default install and I just cant get the restored database to be found by the deployment manager.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 7:51 PM
  • Yes, I am using the admin having full rights on everything.  The new CRM installation has more updates than the old server.  the old server was 3.0, and I just recently upgraded it this morning and exported the database.  both servers have sql sp2 but the new server has the CRM rollup 5, while the old server has no rollups, i just upgraded it to export the database.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:07 PM
  • So, reassuming, your db from CRM 4.0 without Rollups is restored on the server, but you cannot find it when you use Import Organization Wizard, right? Which SQL Server name do you use in the window asking for the server details in the wizard?

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:41 PM
  • This could be part of the issue.  According to Microsoft, both machines must have the same UR. 

both servers have sql sp2 but the new server has the CRM rollup 5, while the old server has no rollups, i just upgraded it to export the database"

It could be something else as well, so please feel free to continue troubleshooting with Kuba.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:11 PM
  • Donna,

Thanks. You are right that the lack of rollup could be the issue. However, what I would expect is that could be an issue when e.g. you export/import customizations between the servers with different rollup configurations. I can hardly believe, the Org Import Wizard is so smart it filters out the databases without rollups. But, indeed, this can be the problem.

Best regards,
    Kuba
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:11 PM
  • I updated the database on the old machine using CRM rollup 5 then exported, moved to the new machine and hooked up the db again.  I go to the deployment wizard and still I do nto see anything

A few key points which may be of interest. 
    The server is an SBS 2008 box. 
    Only 4 users are even on the domain so loading and performance is not a issue
    The new box sees the default instance as "SBS" not localhost.  SBS is the machine name and instance of the sql install.
    If I go to old box and use the machinename I get a failure exactly like the new box.  Is it something possibly with it not recognizing localhost

On a side note:
    I have read at the following link (https://community.dynamics.com/forums/p/9812/13044.aspx) that there are extra's that need to be done to SBS to get it to work.  Funny thing is that the default version of CRM is installed and working (as we can see it up and running and can access it) the only issue left is to import.  Another thing I have heard is that CRM 4 does not work on IP6 enviro's.  SBS is a IP4 and IP6 but I thought I would mention it as a possible cause

Well, after installing the CRM Rollup 5 on the old server and exporting the DB, the new server is liking it and allowed me to see the DB and it imported the org successfully.  Thanks to all, especially Donna!

Cheers
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:51 PM
  • Great, I am glad it is working.  If you would please mark this post as answered.  thank you
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by cracicot Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:16 PM
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:11 PM
  • for me it is working when i use ip address instead of server name.

thanks,
    • Proposed as answer by S.Popov Wednesday, March 21, 2012 12:24 AM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:18 PM