none
Home Server is now a "Other Device" RRS feed

• Question

• The strangest thing happened. Somehow my Home Server (In my case Jello-II) has become an "Other Device" in my network map on my Win 7 64bit laptop (It's fine on all of my other 6 machines - mix of win 7; xp, server 2008, server 2003 boxes). I have tried numerous things like re-boot; disconnect network drive maps; uninstall Home Server Connector; serarch the forums/nets and I cannot get it corrected. It was/is preventing access to my home server network shares and it is also preventing re-mapping of those shares once removed. I also cannot re-install the WHS connector software. All are rejected because Jello-II cannot be found. Funny things are: I can remote into the home server from the same machine; I can see the server through Norton 360 (yes, I have tried turning 360 off) and can change settings on it (trust etc.). I have updated and ran thorough virus scans. What mostly concerns me is that I have googled this thing in several ways and come up with nothing even close...

Here is hoping there is an answer out there (so I won't have to nuke this machine which is the next step) and thanks for your help in advance.

Tim MacKay

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 6:05 PM

All replies

• Can you ping the machine by name and IP?
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 10:45 PM
  • I can ping it by IP but not name
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 12:11 AM
  • I can ping it by IP but not name
    Can you run ipconfig /all on the client that doesn't work, one that does work, and on the server, then post all of the results here?  Also, did you ever edit the HOSTS file on that client?
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 6:27 PM
  • I have looked at the hosts file and it was empty (other than "example" comments). I am happy to post results of ipconfig /all but am a little concerned about the data it contains being posted here (MAC addresses, etc.) so as an MVP/Moderator I am looking to you for assurances that doing so is benign in that it does not pose a security risk.

I have between 5 and 6 computers on my network that are connected to the server. This laptop is the only one that has fallen off. Here are some notes: I recently traveled with it and hooked into a "few" wireless hot spots (it fell off the next day after my return - appears to have run Home Server backup that night though and, I think, worked ok on the day of my return but not 100% sure);  I run Norton 360 on it and it is up-to-date and regularly scanned; I have a secure drive attached to it (not currently mounted) and I believe I have disconnected it as part of troubleshoot but I will do so again; other than a SQL Server upgraded several weeks ago I can think of no other upgrades other than Microsoft and other major app vendors regular update cycles.

BTW – I will attempt to monitor this forum more closely. I thought I told it to e-mail me on posts but it has not so I will review that after I submit this…

Thanks for your help!

T. MacKay

Thursday, July 1, 2010 3:15 AM
  •  On 6/30/2010 10:15 PM, tmackay wrote:

I have looked at the hosts file and it was empty (other than "example" comments). I am happy to post results of ipconfig /all but am a little concerned about the data it contains being posted here (MAC addresses, etc.) so as an MVP/Moderator I am looking to you for assurances that doing so is benign in that it does not pose a security risk.

I have between 5 and 6 computers on my network that are connected to the server. This laptop is the only one that has fallen off. Here are some notes: I recently traveled with it and hooked into a "few" wireless hot spots (it fell off the next day after my return - appears to have run Home Server backup that night though and, I think, worked ok on the day of my return but not 100% sure);  I run Norton 360 on it and it is up-to-date and regularly scanned; I have a secure drive attached to it (not currently mounted) and I believe I have disconnected it as part of troubleshoot but I will do so again; other than a SQL Server upgraded several weeks ago I can think of no other upgrades other than Microsoft and other major app vendors regular update cycles.

BTW – I will attempt to monitor this forum more closely. I thought I told it to e-mail me on posts but it has not so I will review that after I submit this…

Thanks for your help!

T. MacKay

When you paste the results from ipconfig /all in, replace your "Physical address" (MAC Address) with ****'s.  Or just delete that portion of the results altogether.  It's not necessary for troubleshooting at all.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 2:15 PM