Validating an Ingenuine WinXP Pro by running a new Genuine version over it without reformat??? RRS feed

• Question

• I hv just purchased an old Comp with WINXP PRO SP2 but unfortunately i found that the XP installed is not genuine.
    So can i now load a new genuine copy of XP PRO SP3 over it without going thru the hassles of reformatting the HDD ?
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:15 AM

Answers

• Hello Kumar_aangrish,

I can't think of any reason why you couldn't install a Full version of XP Pro SP3 over the top of a pirated version of XP Pro SP2, but I can think of reasons you Shouldn't.

Pirated software is distributed by (what I would call) untrustworthy people. If they will sell useless software to unsuspecting people, what's to keep them from also including a bunch of Viruses in that pirated software they sell? 

In my opinion, I would not trust any software that came from an unknown/untrustworthy source. And if you just install over the top, there is a chance that any Malware could still be there after the install. 

I highly recommend doing a full clean install so you know you have a clean, uncorrupted version of XP running. Better safe then sorry,

But again, it's up to you. There is nothing (that I can think of) that is forcing you to do a clean install. 

Thanks,
    Darin MS

Dan at IT Associates, please post if you have anything to add.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 7:33 PM