WHS Remote Console - Password prob RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I am trying the 120 trial version of WHS.  Full upgraded all the software on the server prior to installing any drives or and PC's to backup.  I was able to connect my pcs initially with the console connector software and even performed a backup.  I currently have 2 machines with the connector software installed and I can tell it reconizes the servers presence but for some reason it will not allow me to connect to the console.  The icon on the task bar is lit green, but when I enter my password it says invalid.  I have tried changing the password on the console itself and still get the same message that the password is invalid when trying to use it on my other pcs.  Anyone have a idea as to what the hell is going on?  Both my machines are running Vista Ultimate 64bit edition.  Any help would be appreciated!
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 12:28 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    the time zone question was specially assigned to the server, since a self installed server per default points to Pacific time, which makes sometimes a huge difference between optical and real system time.
    The toolkit pointing out the difference between server and connector versions is a bug since the November update, which did not patch all WHS components unfortunately. The toolkit with the knowledge of the PowerPack 1 status only checks for identical version numbers. So you can ignore that error.
    Can you establish a Remote Desktop connection to the server, using the RDP client with account Administrator and the WHS console password?
    Did you install any NVidia or ATI drivers or any software, which is originally not part of the Windows Home Server package, on the server?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by jc49erfan Monday, January 5, 2009 5:17 AM
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 7:33 AM
  • Hi,
    I encounterd same problems,too. In my case,as Mr.Engelke pointed out,Nvidia driver caused the problem.
    After uninstall the driver and install new beta driver downloaded from Nvidia web site, the problem was solved.

Sorry,my poor English.
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 3:35 AM
  • OMG Olaf you're a genius!  I uninstalled the video drivers and its working again, including remote desktop now! 
    • Unmarked as answer by jc49erfan Monday, January 5, 2009 5:17 AM
    Monday, January 5, 2009 5:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    please validate, if the system time and the time zone of your WHS match the values set on the client PCs.
    Can you login locally or via Remote Desktop using the account Administrator and the console password?
    If yes, please to so and open the Event Viewer in Control Panel/Administrative tools. Check here for error messages and warnings around (especially) the time you try to establish the connection.
    Best greetings from Germany and a happy new year
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 10:49 AM
  • Hello, thank you for replying.  I checked my system clocks on all client machines.  The time zone, date and time match.  I can log into the server locally with no problems.  I can access the console with no problems, just cannot get the console to log in on the client machines.  I ran the WHS toolkit and it does say there is a error with my connector software.  It tells me that the version on the server does not match the version on my client pcs.  Funny thing is I installed the power pack software on the server before I installed the connector software on the client machines.  I made sure to upgrade the server first because the connector software was reported to be upgraded in the software share which is what I used once all the software was updated on the server.  As indicated it worked once or twice then it hasn't worked since. 

I'll double check the event view and see if I can see any messages and if so then I'll post them here.  Also been having issues getting remote desktop to work as well, but was going to tackle that problem once I get my console problem fixed.

Saturday, January 3, 2009 5:53 AM
  • Hi,
    the time zone question was specially assigned to the server, since a self installed server per default points to Pacific time, which makes sometimes a huge difference between optical and real system time.
    The toolkit pointing out the difference between server and connector versions is a bug since the November update, which did not patch all WHS components unfortunately. The toolkit with the knowledge of the PowerPack 1 status only checks for identical version numbers. So you can ignore that error.
    Can you establish a Remote Desktop connection to the server, using the RDP client with account Administrator and the WHS console password?
    Did you install any NVidia or ATI drivers or any software, which is originally not part of the Windows Home Server package, on the server?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 7:33 AM
  • Hi,
    I encounterd same problems,too. In my case,as Mr.Engelke pointed out,Nvidia driver caused the problem.
    After uninstall the driver and install new beta driver downloaded from Nvidia web site, the problem was solved.

Sorry,my poor English.
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 3:35 AM
  • Hi Olaf, I did install video drivers to the server.  Nvidia 169.75 if I remember correctly.  Should I uninstall those?
    Monday, January 5, 2009 4:56 AM
  • OMG Olaf you're a genius!  I uninstalled the video drivers and its working again, including remote desktop now! 
    • Unmarked as answer by jc49erfan Monday, January 5, 2009 5:17 AM
    Monday, January 5, 2009 5:16 AM