Windows Genuine Advantage Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    I had bought an HP dv6 111AU in June this year and it came with Windows Vista. I am a Student and about a month back I upgraded to Windows 7. Everything happened perfectly and Windows 7 was running smoothly.
    Then about a week back my laptop started saying that the copy of Windows is not Genuine. I tried to feed in the Product ID and Activation Key, but it didnt work (Im guessing because that was for the Vista version.)

Because I just downloaded Windows 7, no activation kep was given to me and I dont really know where to go to get the activation key.

It is a bit annoying to have to deal with this when you've installed something genuine. I'm wondering why the product key wasnt given to me when I was downloading Windows 7 through the Student's scheme.

What information do you need to solve the problem? I havent disclosed anything because im not sure what info I need to provide.

Thanks
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:59 PM

Answers

• Hello Samarjit Khanna,

You will need a Valid Product Key to use Windows. 

I recommend contacting the person or company that sold you the Windows 7 and ask were the Product Key is.  If they say they do not provide Product Keys, then it is very likely they are selling Non-Genuine copies of Windows.

If you bought the Windows directly from Microsoft, I recommend going to the page that you bought the Windows from and look for a Contact Us, Order Assistance, Support or FAQ link for information on getting assistance with your order.

Please Note: In most cases, when buying a downloadable copy of Windows, the product key will usually be sent to your email address.  I recommend checking your email for the Product Key mail. Be sure to check your Spam filter folder just in case the Product Key mail was filtered out, by mistake.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Friday, December 4, 2009 7:59 PM

All replies

• Hello Samarjit Khanna,

You will need a Valid Product Key to use Windows. 

I recommend contacting the person or company that sold you the Windows 7 and ask were the Product Key is.  If they say they do not provide Product Keys, then it is very likely they are selling Non-Genuine copies of Windows.

If you bought the Windows directly from Microsoft, I recommend going to the page that you bought the Windows from and look for a Contact Us, Order Assistance, Support or FAQ link for information on getting assistance with your order.

Please Note: In most cases, when buying a downloadable copy of Windows, the product key will usually be sent to your email address.  I recommend checking your email for the Product Key mail. Be sure to check your Spam filter folder just in case the Product Key mail was filtered out, by mistake.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Friday, December 4, 2009 7:59 PM
  • I just purchased a new copy of Windows 7 SP1 (64-bit) OEM from Amazon.com and the install went great and accepted the Product Key (that was attached as a sticker on the outside of the DVD package).  My initial problem was that I was having trouble saving an image/backup (using Windows Backup) to my WD My Book 3TB external USB HDD.  It stated something about an I/O error, so I came across this link (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2510009) which brings me to my second problem.  When I attempted to use that link I could not get the validation code, like the copy of Windows isn't genuine.  It gave me this error code:  0x8004026f.  Why does that happen when I have a brand new copy of Windows 7 SP1 that installed without any hitches?

Your help would be really appreciated.

Sincerely,

Dennis

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:32 AM
  • WHY would you post in a thread that is FIVE YEARS old?  At the top of the page are the instructions for getting help on Genuine Issues.  It is cryptically titled  "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING".  If you go there and read the instructions, you will find out what you need to do.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:32 PM