none
Reconfiguring WHS remote access ports? RRS feed

• Question

• OK, catastrophe struck in the form of Verizon FIOS.

I just switched to a Verizon FIOS bundle and my WHS have lost remote access. I have, I believe, successfully reconfigured the new Westell router and the WHS dignostics seem to confirm this.

However it seems Verizon blocks some ports in the set of 80, 443, and 4125 that WHS needs. This was confirmed by a online chat with a Vz representative. A contra-indication is that I've heard fro manother person nearby that also has FIOS and he says he can regularly access his WHS remotely.

I was wondering if there are any options to reconfigure WHS to use alternate ports? Or any other options open to me?
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 4:29 PM

All replies

• It's possible, but unsupported, to change ports 80 and 443. It's not possible to change port 4125.

If the only port Verizon blocks is 80, you don't need to do anything otehr than tell your suers to use https://server.homeserver.com to access your server. If they also block port 443, rather than trying to make changes to your server, you can see if your router will support forwarding to alternate ports, then forwarding e.g. port 444 to port 443 on your server, and vice versa. That will let you use the Remote Access site.

However, consider that Verizon blocks ports for a reason, namely that running servers is against their Terms of Service/Acceptable Use Policy. They don't want you to do this on a residential connection, and the consequences can be rather high. They could, for example, terminate your service without warning. They could also charge you for a class of service that will allow you to run ports (they might even choose to back-charge you since the beginning of your service, since they may not be able to determine when you installed your server). The safe thing to do is to find out from Verizon what changes are required to your service to allow you to run a server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 4:42 PM