Create a relationship to determine when a "looking for" field is met by a new product RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on customizing and installation of CRM 2013.

One of our goals is to have a system that alerts salespeople when product is added into the system that matches the "interests" of one of their open opportunities.  I'll keep the details simple but I can expand or clarify what I'm trying to do if it is helpful.

I have a few pieces of this figured out - What I intend to do is create a workflow that runs on a schedule and checks to see if there is a match between fields.  In this case, we'll use "type" which is an option set that is the same set for "what the opportunity is interested in" and "what type of product it is".

However, my understanding is that I need to create a relationship between the "looking for X type" field of opportunities and the "is X type product" field of each product - that way the workflow can compare the fields and generate a message if there is a result.

I'm failing to understand how the CRM entity relationships work and was hoping that someone could help me figure out what I need to do to make this work.

Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 11:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You need a new entity called type, then you can have a lookup on your product to type, and a lookup to the same entity on your opportunity for looking for type.

~ Atomic Coder

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:43 AM
  • Okay, I follow that.

However, how will that help me write the workflow?  Will I be able to compare the two fields (product-type) and (opportunity-type) by the nature that they both look up a separate entity?  Why does it not work to use the same option set for both fields?

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 9:39 PM