Will an upgrade from beta to retail release be possible without rebuilding data drives? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm interested in trying Vail beta but don't want to have to totally rebuild when it hits RTM. I'm hoping that either an upgrade or a recover will be possible to get the RTM build on without messing with the data partitions. Anyone able to comment on that?
    Saturday, August 7, 2010 7:00 AM

Answers

• I'm interested in trying Vail beta but don't want to have to totally rebuild when it hits RTM. I'm hoping that either an upgrade or a recover will be possible to get the RTM build on without messing with the data partitions. Anyone able to comment on that?
    MS has said that they might force a rebuild for RTM.  Frankly, I am assuming that it will be necessary and already planning accordingly.  (Even if it's not, I still wouldn't want to carry beta bits forward to RTM.)
    Saturday, August 7, 2010 2:47 PM

All replies

• AFAIK MS has not said that there will be an upgrade or migration path from Vail to release.  I recommend strongly against using Vail in a production environment, or for anything more than testing.  Do not store your data on Vail and nowhere else.

If you're looking for something you can use from now until it's released and then have an easy migration path, you should make sure you have copies of everything on an external drive NOT associated with Vail so you can be prepared to start from scratch, if necessary.  I really can't even guess if it'll be possible to upgrade or not with the state of drive extender as it is now.  If you have everything on an external drive you'll be able to copy it all back to the released version if the drives won't migrate.  

Saturday, August 7, 2010 8:07 AM
    MS has said that they might force a rebuild for RTM.  Frankly, I am assuming that it will be necessary and already planning accordingly.  (Even if it's not, I still wouldn't want to carry beta bits forward to RTM.)
    Saturday, August 7, 2010 2:47 PM
  • I'm not talking about the OS bits - I'm talking about the data partitions. Just like with WHS1 you can do an OS reinstall and then have the old data partitions recognized and readded. But I guess the answer is that nobody knows for sure so it is better not to assume yes.

Sunday, August 8, 2010 6:34 PM
  • I'm not talking about the OS bits - I'm talking about the data partitions. Just like with WHS1 you can do an OS reinstall and then have the old data partitions recognized and readded. But I guess the answer is that nobody knows for sure so it is better not to assume yes. 
    When I said "force a rebuild for RTM", I was referring to the storage pool (in addition to the OS).
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 7:42 PM