Page swapping and drives burning out. RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have burned out two of my WHS (V1) c:/system disk. Both times, I almost lost everything. What I have noticed is that the drives were always active. At one point I thought maybe someone was downloading files from my system. The system is a Shuttle with 1GB of ram. The unit was placed near the bathroom, and whenever I got up in the middle of the night, I could hear how busy it was. There was no schedule backup at that time. When the first drive failed, I started to shut down the server with a schedule, and then made the PC wake-up later. This worked about 3 months, then twice, the PC lost its boot track. This was my second new drive.

I was about to give up on WHS. Then WHS Vail beta (64bit) came out and I wanted to test it on my Shuttle PC. The same thing started happening, the drive was very busy. But this time I was able to view my memory map.

The reason the drive was busy was because of memory page swapping with the hard drive, which put more wear and tear on the hard drive. The shuttle can only go up to 3GBs of ram; so that’s what I did. Now the system is running quiet and cool, all day and night. The only problem I have is there’s about 0 - 32mb ram free. It means that if I put more applications on WHS Vail it's going to do memory page swapping again, which will increase wear on the drive. 

I believe it needs to be properly stated that the system should run on PCs with more than 4GB of ram, so other people won't run into the same problem as me. Today I am much happier with the system, and one day I will upgrade my motherboard to handle more ram.

Friday, May 28, 2010 3:36 AM

All replies

• I have burned out two of my WHS (V1) c:/system disk. Both times, I almost lost everything. What I have noticed is that the drives were always active. At one point I thought maybe someone was downloading files from my system. The system is a Shuttle with 1GB of ram. The unit was placed near the bathroom, and whenever I got up in the middle of the night, I could hear how busy it was. There was no schedule backup at that time. When the first drive failed, I started to shut down the server with a schedule, and then made the PC wake-up later. This worked about 3 months, then twice, the PC lost its boot track. This was my second new drive.

I was about to give up on WHS. Then WHS Vail beta (64bit) came out and I wanted to test it on my Shuttle PC. The same thing started happening, the drive was very busy. But this time I was able to view my memory map.

The reason the drive was busy was because of memory page swapping with the hard drive, which put more wear and tear on the hard drive. The shuttle can only go up to 3GBs of ram; so that’s what I did. Now the system is running quiet and cool, all day and night. The only problem I have is there’s about 0 - 32mb ram free. It means that if I put more applications on WHS Vail it's going to do memory page swapping again, which will increase wear on the drive. 

I believe it needs to be properly stated that the system should run on PCs with more than 4GB of ram, so other people won't run into the same problem as me. Today I am much happier with the system, and one day I will upgrade my motherboard to handle more ram. 

If you stick with the supported vision of WHS (either v1 or Vail), 4 GB of RAM is not necessary.  I have 2 GB of RAM in my real v1 server and only 1 GB of RAM assigned to my VM Vail installation and both work fine (including streaming).  Judging by your comment "if I put more applications...", you are installing applications on Vail and presumably v1 (both of which is unsupported).
    Friday, May 28, 2010 3:53 AM
  •  

What I meant by "applications" was the “add-on's” that you might but on to your launch pad.  The only application I installed (Which I do not have any more since Vail, is a clean installs) was the schedule program to shut the PC "OFF", this was to cool down my drives. I would like to know how your "Resource Monitor (Memory)" is doing. This is mine;

Inuse: 2391,   Standby: 603,   Free 58mB 

How are you running 1Gb of ram, when you need more then 2GB ram before paging starts on your drives?

I find people are so quick to jump instead of listening...  I do like the product, and I would like it to succeed.

-The more mechanical movements you use in the hard drive, the faster the drive will wear. The data I plan to store on Vail one day is important to me and my family.

Right now my family is storing about 100GB's of pictures, and it's growing every month. Storing it on CD's isn’t cutting it any more.

Monday, May 31, 2010 12:22 AM
  • What I meant by "applications" was the “add-on's” that you might but on to your launch pad.  The only application I installed (Which I do not have any more since Vail, is a clean installs) was the schedule program to shut the PC "OFF", this was to cool down my drives. I would like to know how your "Resource Monitor (Memory)" is doing. This is mine;

Inuse: 2391,   Standby: 603,   Free 58mB

I don't look at Free, I look at Available.  Available is standby (which is nothing more than cached data that is not currently being used) plus free.  In your case, you have 661 MB Available.  Right now I have 824 In Use and 194 Available.  However, since you asked for the details of my current RAM setup, they are:  Hardware Reserved - 1 MB; In Use - 824 MB; Modified - 5 MB; Standby - 136 MB; Free - 58 MB.

How are you running 1Gb of ram, when you need more then 2GB ram before paging starts on your drives?

I didn't do anything out of the ordinary.  I just installed Vail with the minimum specs (single 64 bit processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB drive) and wanted to see how well it ran.  Sure, I could have provided more CPUs and/or RAM to the VM, but I know that would work.  To be honest, in the past some of MS's minimum OS specs (including WHS v1) have been.... too minimum to use the OS effectively/efficiently.  That's why I went the minimum spec route for testing.  From what I've seen so far, the minimum specs for Vail seem to work fine.  As I said before, I can even stream videos to a remote client through the internet with no issues.

I find people are so quick to jump instead of listening...  I do like the product, and I would like it to succeed.

You said applications, not add-ins.  Add-ins are supported, applications are not.  Too many times users come to these forums and want to install Exhange/SQL/Office/some other application on their v1 server, all of which are unsupported.  When I saw the word "application" I assume that's what you meant.  Now that I know you meant add-ins, all is well.  :)

-The more mechanical movements you use in the hard drive, the faster the drive will wear. The data I plan to store on Vail one day is important to me and my family.

Right now my family is storing about 100GB's of pictures, and it's growing every month. Storing it on CD's isn’t cutting it any more.

Monday, May 31, 2010 5:10 PM