Been fighting a spyware for a year now something about notepad.exe %1% RRS feed

• Question

• I can't get rid of this thing.  Norton, Mcafee, One Care, Spysweeper, CA, Lavasoft, you name it i have tried it. It survives reformats and whatever else i throw at it.  Anyone know anything about this?  Need some help please.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 9:21 AM

Answers

All replies

• If you are not currently using Windows Live OneCare, you are off topic for this forum. This is not a general forum for viruses, spyware, or Windows Help. For help with spyware issues, you may want to try the forums here: 

http://aumha.net/ For help with virus removal, contact the maker of your Antivirus program.

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

If you are using OneCare, please contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 1:51 AM
  • Sorry for the lack of information i provided with the first post but i shall try to expand upon that now.  I am using Windows Live one care on two different computers. One computer i use it with Lavasoft Ad-aware and Iolo System Mechanic, and the other computer uses Webroot Spy Sweeper and Iolo System Mechanic.  Both computers have had the same problem with Ad-aware and system mechanic detecting a spyware that it trys to remove and says it does only for it to come back at a later time.  Live one care has never found anything on any of the computers even when they crash to the point of reformatting is the only option.  The computers have crashed 7 times over the past year while the 25 years of computing i have done i have never reformatted a computer for performance/virus issues before this.  The computer with adaware and one care is xp and the comp with spysweeper and one care is vistas.  So i do believe this is a one care issue and was just hoping you had any insight to this new affliction which i can't seem to get any help with.  I would submit a file or program for you but it does not allow this i.e. crash or lock-ups or redirection.  So if this not the place to fix live one care issues and virus/spyware issues then i appologize to take up your time.  I have worked with other manufacturers and everytime it comes to the point of the actual removal of this affliction computer completely trashes itself.  Just though i would try live one care which is a ironic name for this program.  Thanks anyways for your effort.

Monday, January 28, 2008 4:04 AM
  • Thanks for the additional explanation.

This forum is for discussing OneCare and for community sharing of information. The official path for support, particularly in the case of an infection is to contact OneCare support.

I guess my first issue is with the fact that your have multiple applications running to prevent/remove spyware. If you are using any other real time protection, you may be contributing to your own crashes as multiple protection programs can cause conflicts. Webroot Spysweeper provides real time protection. AdAware 2007 runs as a service, so is now also real-time.

I would recommend removing these conflicting programs as a starting point. If you choose to keep OneCare, if you are infected, or experiencing system instability that leads you to believe that you may be infected, go to one of the online scanners such as www.ewido.com and www.eset.com for a scan.

If you are infected and OneCare missed the infection, contact OneCare support.

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 12:38 PM