CD Drive's stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• I added a second hard drive to the computer, and when I turned the system back on it recognized the CD (optical) drives, but they do not read anything.  Every CD inserted can not be viewed and reads like it is blank.  The second CD (optical) drive always says I need to insert a CD first.  Looked under Device Manager and drives are enabled and working properly.  Troubleshoot doesn't help.  Downloaded drivers for the drives again, looked for any updated drivers, but still nothing.  I checked for any Windows Updates, ran SpyBot, Windows Defender, etc. also with no results.  I opened the system and switched to newer drives from another working computer, but they show the exact same thing.  One forum said it was a "system registry" issue with XP.  Tried to load a system registry cleaner, and it found issues but wanted money.  Don't want to spend money for something that may not work.  Hope if system registry issue MS will know what to do.  I have spent 2 days and countless hours working on this issue.  HELP!?!
    Monday, February 4, 2008 11:00 PM

Answers