Windows home server/Windows Explorer question RRS feed

• Question

• When I first set up my Windows Home Server, for several days, I could use Windows Explorer and transfer files from my home computer network, to the Windows Home Server.  Now, for some reason, all folders on the Windows Home Server sends a "*.*/Folder name is not accessable.  You might not have permmission to use this network resource.  Contact the administrator of this servver to find out if you have access permissions.   Access is denied."  All folders on the server return the same error message when you attempt to access using Windows Explorer.  I know that the issue is with the server, as I have shut all firewalls down oon each computer, and tested each computer on the network.  All folders are accessable just as they should be using the name.homeserver.com domain  name, it is just not accessable from my home network to transfer files over to the server.

Any idea what has changed from the inital setup where I could access all folders from the Windows Explorer to now no access using Windows Explorer?

Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:03 AM

All replies

• Tony

Can you access any of the shared folders using either the shared folders shortcut on the desktop or from the WHS console task tray icon?

have you added any software to the WHS box?

can you check in the WHS Console that the account you are using is not locked out?

Andrew

Sunday, January 20, 2008 8:31 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I didn't explain my situation as I should have.

No software has been added to the server, and the account is not locked out.

I can access the folders using the shortcut, or the desktop, as long as I am logged in.  The username I have set up has full access to the server.

What I am trying to do is this.   I have a BUNCH of 1-2 meg images that I want to transfer to the server.  I can do this, as long as I log in, and 'upload' them to the server.  However, this is too time consuming.  When I first installed the server, I could use the Windows Explorer, and copy/paste the images from the computer, or in fact, copy/paste an entire folder  to the server without any issue, and at record speeds.  Now, all I can do is 'log in and upload' each image.

Thanks in advance, for any reply.

Tony

Sunday, January 20, 2008 5:11 PM
  • Tony

the problem with what you want to do is that it essentially will bypass the correct way of copying/moving data to your WHS and then there might be problems with the data and with duplication of that data across multiple drives.

The correct method for moving/copying data to a WHS shared folder is through the shared folder. Its probably time consuming because the WHS Drive Extender is doing its magic.

You say about "uploading each image" - why cant you open the shared folder (via shared folders) and then just drag/drop or copy a whole bunch? You dont need to do it image by image.

Andrew

Sunday, January 20, 2008 5:21 PM
  •  

I am not sure exactly where you are getting the 'shared folder' from, unless you are referring to the Server icon in the Media Smart/Control Center or the Photo icon in the Media Smart/Control Center.  As far as I can find, I cannot access ANY folder on the server from my desktop unless I first log in throught name.homeserver.com.   Every attempt to access any folder gets the error mentioned in the first message, even though I have FULL access to every folder on the server.  Drag/drop would be great, except I can't access any of the folders without logging in, and thus have to 'upload' each individual file.

This is the same from every computer on the home network.  The ONLY way to access ANY folder on the server, is by first going to name.homeserver.com and logging in.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 5:47 PM
  • Tony

Then I would say you have a major problem here because that is not how WHS is supposed to work. You should just be able to double click the shared folders icon on your desktop or select shared folders from the task tray icon on any desktop that has the WHS Console installed on it.

I never have to go to name.homeserver.com and login before I can access a folder.

Has this ever worked? If not, I think you need to have a look at your configuration, perhaps perform a server reinstallation and start the process again?

Andrew

Sunday, January 20, 2008 5:53 PM
  • Tony, what happens when you attempt to view the contents of a share in Explorer from a client PC, e.g. \\server\Public? What about when you try directly from the server using the same UNC path from a Remote Desktop session on the server?
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 5:54 PM
  • Yes, this worked fine for a few days. 

I had router issues, trying to get the name.homeserver.com to work, and it finally did get set up, then (and I am not sure how long after the router issue), the file access stopped.

Is it possible it could be a port issue with the router?

Sunday, January 20, 2008 5:55 PM
  • H Ken,

Any attempt to view anything on the server without first logging in through name.homeserver.com gets the not authorized error.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 6:07 PM
  •  Tony Arkansas wrote:

H Ken,

Any attempt to view anything on the server without first logging in through name.homeserver.com gets the not authorized error.

Have you opened the WHS console and checked the permissions for your username to see if they are still the same?  Have you tried changing them, then changing them back again?  Have you tried rebooting both server and client?

Sunday, January 20, 2008 6:23 PM
  • Yes, I just changed my permissions for my username, rebooted the server, still same issue.  I even switched back to the old router (the one where name.homeserver.com did not work), and got the same not-authorized issue message.

I even set up a new user, and granted the user access, and still get the not-authorized issue message.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 7:15 PM
  •  Tony Arkansas wrote:
    Yes, I just changed my permissions for my username, rebooted the server, still same issue.  I even switched back to the old router (the one where name.homeserver.com did not work), and got the same not-authorized issue message.

I even set up a new user, and granted the user access, and still get the not-authorized issue message.

You said before that the error message you're getting contains "*.*/Folder Name...".  Can you please confirm that this part is exactly the message you're seeing on screen?  If so, that's definitely not right.  It should be "\\[servername]\[sharename] is not accessible."  Maybe something happened to your server name...

Sunday, January 20, 2008 9:37 PM
  • You know, maybe I did mess it up. 

I did change the name.homeserver.com from name"a".homeserver.com to name"b".homeserver.com in the setup page under the domain name, but didn't think that would have any effect on the server.  However, the name of the server that shows up in the Windows Explorer is the NEW name:b", not the origninal.   Where would that have changed?

Is there someplace I can change this back?

Here is the error I get:  http://www.seethenightsky.com/screen2.jpg

Sunday, January 20, 2008 10:24 PM
  • Strange thing just happened.   I just set up my itunes on the server, and I can access it using the Windows Explorer and the music icon in the control center, but access to any other folder on the server is still denied.

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:12 AM
  • Tony, was the share in which your iTunes music is stored created fresh for this purpose? If so, then I think you just have a problem with permissions on your shares. There's a post in the FAQ section which describes how to reset permissions for a share and it's files. Could you take a look at that and let us know what the permissions on your Public share are like, in the remote desktop session and in the WHS console?
    Monday, January 21, 2008 2:28 AM
  • Ken,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the iTunes was created to check this issue.

Here is a screenshot of the permission:  http://www.seethenightsky.com/screen4.jpg

I appreciate the help.

Tony

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:00 PM
  • Im not sure if this is your problem or not, but permissions for folders on WHS should only ever be changed using the Windows Home Server Console and not the "usual" way.

When I look at the permissions on my Public folder, using the "usual" way, I have a lot more accounts and permissions listed than you do.

Andrew

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:17 PM
  • Tony, I'm going to have to get back to you on this tonight (nowhere near a WHS PC at the moment, and not in a position to use RD to access one), but I agree with Andrew's comment; It's very unusual for you to have permissions set that way for a share.
    Monday, January 21, 2008 7:22 PM
  • Ok, great.  Any advise is appreciated.   I have had the server up and running since the first week in December, so I have a lot to learn about it.

As far as I know, I have not changed any permissions.  In the console, under User Accounts/Properties/Shared Folder Access, the user id I am using has full access.

I am open to any suggestions as to how to correct this issue.  Uploading files is a slow way to add them.

Thanks again (to all),

Tony

Monday, January 21, 2008 8:17 PM
  •  Arkansas Tony wrote:

Ok, great.  Any advise is appreciated.   I have had the server up and running since the first week in December, so I have a lot to learn about it.

As far as I know, I have not changed any permissions.  In the console, under User Accounts/Properties/Shared Folder Access, the user id I am using has full access.

I am open to any suggestions as to how to correct this issue.  Uploading files is a slow way to add them.

Thanks again (to all),

Tony

Yes, your permissions are not correct.  I just checked the Security tab on my Public share and it's as follows:

Administrators - Full Control

CREATOR OWNER - Special Permissions (although when I look at the detail, it still shows Full Control)

RO_7 - Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, and Read

RW_7 - Full Control

SYSTEM - Full Control

Have you tried logging into the server desktop and viewing the Security settings from there?  (Since your Tony account is not an administrator on the server, that may be blocking your ability to view the permissions from another computer.)

EDIT:  Also, you could try resetting all of the permissions as instructed by Mark Vayman's post here...

Monday, January 21, 2008 8:32 PM
  • The only access that I have to the server is through the Console.  If you are referring to logging in through Remote Desktop, I have not been successful in getting that to work.  When I attempt the RD, I get the error message that

the system could not log me on (check name and password), or that I am not in the RD user group.

What way are you logging into the server desktop?  Where are you assigning the administrator?  I feel that there are

screens that I can't get access to, and have never had access to.  The reason I say that, is that I purchased the "Microsoft Windows Home Server Unleashed" to try to solve these issues, and it mentioned screens that I have never found.

Monday, January 21, 2008 9:40 PM
  • Tony

The more information you post, the more I am convinced that your installation is hosed :-(

You should have no problem what so ever connecting through remote desktop to your WHS - the username is administrator and the password is whatever password you created for the administrator account during the WHS config stages.

You dont need to assign the administrator anywhere for this to work - its "out of the box".

All of that, coupled with your permissions problems is not good.

Without wanting to start this entire thread again from scratch, can you describe exactly how you installed and configured WHS from the beginning? Also, what version of WHS are you using?

Out out curiousity, what screens mentioned in Pauls book are you referring to as never seen?

My advice at this stage would be to go for a complete server reinstallation.

Andrew

Monday, January 21, 2008 9:49 PM
  • Since you told me how to get in using the 'administrator' login, I have finally got into the RD.

I did not see it mentioned anywhere in what little documentation that came with the server on how to get in.

As far as any screens mentioned in the book.....EVERY screen in the RD!  He mentions the control panel, start button, and who knows what else.  None of that was seen by me since I did not get into the RD.  Looking around the RD, I see the screens that were mentioned in the book.

As far as what I did when I installed and configured, I really can't tell you, since I have slept since there.  I can tell you that I did nothing other than what was asked....like the password to set it up, and the name of the server.  Everything else configured all by itself.  All I have done since then is created a couple of userid's and put a few files on the server.

Here are the versions of the software on the server:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1500.8
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1500.8

Thanks for the tip on the RD.

So is it safe to copy/paste or drag files or folders using the Windows Explorer in the RD?  That appears to work ok (access).  I have not tried to drag anything over yet.

Tony

Monday, January 21, 2008 11:00 PM
  • Tony, to connect to your server using Remote Desktop, you will use the user ID "Administrator" and the password that you created when you first set up Windows Home Server. That user ID exists without you having to do anything.

I'll read through the rest of your posts to see what I can figure out...
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:56 AM
  •  Arkansas Tony wrote:

Since you told me how to get in using the 'administrator' login, I have finally got into the RD.

I did not see it mentioned anywhere in what little documentation that came with the server on how to get in.

As far as any screens mentioned in the book.....EVERY screen in the RD!  He mentions the control panel, start button, and who knows what else.  None of that was seen by me since I did not get into the RD.  Looking around the RD, I see the screens that were mentioned in the book.

As far as what I did when I installed and configured, I really can't tell you, since I have slept since there.  I can tell you that I did nothing other than what was asked....like the password to set it up, and the name of the server.  Everything else configured all by itself.  All I have done since then is created a couple of userid's and put a few files on the server.

Here are the versions of the software on the server:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1500.8
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1500.8

Thanks for the tip on the RD.

So is it safe to copy/paste or drag files or folders using the Windows Explorer in the RD?  That appears to work ok (access).  I have not tried to drag anything over yet.

Tony

Yes, you can, providing you note one important fact:  do not copy anything to D:\shares\[sharename].  Always use the network path (\\[servername]\[sharename]).  There is a shortcut on the server desktop for that exact reason.

Did you try resetting the permissions on the shares yet?

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 3:24 AM
  • Thanks for all the replies.

Before I go and try to do something that I may not need, let me ask this (repeat) dumb question (I may not have been clear at the start).

When I said at the start of this thread that I could not access the folders using Windows Explorer, what I was referring to was the Windows Explorer ON my desktop, not in the RD on the server.  When I initally set up the server, I could access the folders FROM my desktop.  (I had never accessed the RD before).  Now, that I can access the RD, all folders are accessable using Windows Explorer IN RD, so is the server doing what it was supposed to?  Should I have ever been able to access the folders from MY desktop? 

I hate to change anything if the server is doing what it is supposed to.  Please advise.

Tony

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:39 PM
  • Tony

Yes, you should be able to access the folders from your desktop - thats kind of the whole point of WHS. Its supposed to be a simple and easy to use single repository for your data. A lot of people, probably most of the "target" audience for WHS will never use RD, in fact probably have no idea what RD is or how to use it.

I still think your situation is a little different and that you have major permissioning problems, which if you have inadvertantly done something that screwed them up, a server reinstall will fix.

From my desktop right now, I can access the shares from the shared folders link on the desktop, or from the WHS task tray icon, or from \\server\sharename.

the fact you cannot do any of those is a problem.

Just to wrap this up, did you ever change any permissions to folders using anything other than the Window Home Server Console (not desktop - console)?

andrew

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:01 PM
  • Sorry, forgot to add to my post, I can also see all my shares quite happily in Windows Explorer on my 64-bit version of Windows Vista Ultimate.

And I've done no modifications to this HP MediaSmart server at all.

Andrew

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:09 PM
  • I have changed the shared folder access for a particular user, as mentioned in this thread, but other than that, nothing.  This was through the console.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:16 PM
  • Then to be honest Tony I cannot see what has caused your problems.

I think the wisest course of action would be for you to perform a server reinstall (which will keep all of your data) and then reinstall the connector software on a client and try again.

Andrew

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:19 PM
  • Thanks, Andrew.

To reinstall the software, I assume I do this from a client?

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:28 PM
  • Did you say you had a MediaSmart server? If so, follow the instructions that came with it to perform the reinstall.

If its "self built" then just put the WHS DVD in the WHS, reboot, and choose Server Reinstallation from the options.

Andrew

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:48 PM
  • Andrew,

Yes, it is a MediaSmart Server.   Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try.

Tony

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:49 PM
  • Let us know how you get on.

if you have problems shout!

Andrew

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:53 PM
  • Well, I reinstalled the software, and now I have the access to the folders through Windows Explorer as I should.

However, now I have a two new issues.

(1) I get the error message that says Verifying that your router is accepting Web site connections when I try to configure the router for remote access

(2) A possible database consistency problem has been detected in the backup database

So far, nothing seems to help solve the issue.

Any suggestions?

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 10:55 PM
  •  

Hi Tony

Glad the original problem has been resolved :-)

As for the database proble, download and install the WHS toolkit. Then if you have to you can easily delete the backup database and start again.

Andrew

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 7:15 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

I ran the toolkit...all it found was the firewall was not on (not really sure why it said that, when the firewall is on). 

What about the router issue?  The help file says that if it doesn't work correctly after a reinstall and reboot, that there are files missing.   Any idea about this?  I have installed the software 3 times, and still get the error message. 

Thanks,

Tony

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 11:43 AM
  •  Tony Arkansas wrote:

Hi Andrew,

I ran the toolkit...all it found was the firewall was not on (not really sure why it said that, when the firewall is on). 

What about the router issue?  The help file says that if it doesn't work correctly after a reinstall and reboot, that there are files missing.   Any idea about this?  I have installed the software 3 times, and still get the error message. 

Thanks,

Tony

First thing I would check is to make sure your port forwarding in your router is set up correctly (since you reinstalled WHS, your server may have a different IP address than it did before so make sure the router is pointing to the right IP address).

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:00 PM
  • After speaking with tech support.....and of course, they had no answer, we both agreed that a complete restore back to the factory default was the only thing left.

After moving my stored data off the server, I re-installed back to the factory default (total wipe out of data), and so far, it is

working.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 9:30 PM