registration of product ket for "preloaded" microsoft office system 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Purchased new IBM laptop with "preloaded" office system 2007. Copied product key from "label" on bottom of unit" (five sets of five, number letter combination). When I open the program it requests me to insert the key. After I enter the key correctly(dashes are added automatic as code is inserted). Response, in red, says code is incorrect? Is it possible that the label and code are "fake"?  Laptop purchased new, came with Win XP Professional which I registered on-line. Is validated. What next-----call IBM? 

Sunday, July 11, 2010 8:11 PM

Answers

• Purchased new IBM laptop with "preloaded" office system 2007. Copied product key from "label" on bottom of unit" (five sets of five, number letter combination). When I open the program it requests me to insert the key. After I enter the key correctly(dashes are added automatic as code is inserted). Response, in red, says code is incorrect? Is it possible that the label and code are "fake"?  Laptop purchased new, came with Win XP Professional which I registered on-line. Is validated. What next-----call IBM? 

The label on the bottom plainly says for Windows XP, not Office 2007 doesn't it?  The preloaded software is a trial of Office 2007 and you need to read the documentation that came with your new IBM laptop to determine how to activate the trial software that will last a total of 60 days maximum after activated.  If you can�??t find out how to activate with the documentation that came with the laptop, contact IBM.
    Sunday, July 11, 2010 9:14 PM

All replies

The label on the bottom plainly says for Windows XP, not Office 2007 doesn't it?  The preloaded software is a trial of Office 2007 and you need to read the documentation that came with your new IBM laptop to determine how to activate the trial software that will last a total of 60 days maximum after activated.  If you can�??t find out how to activate with the documentation that came with the laptop, contact IBM.
    Sunday, July 11, 2010 9:14 PM
  • Hello german1937,

Your question is a very common one, and LVTravel is correct in pointing out that the Office installation is most likely a Trial.

Look on your desktop or All Programs menu.  If your computer has the Office Trial called the 2007 Microsoft Office System, then it should also have the Activation Assistant.  From the MS OEM site:

""The Microsoft Office Activation Assistant (OAA) is a tool that allows customers who have the 2007 Microsoft Office system preinstalled on a new PC to:

• Buy a product key; or
    • Get a key to activate a 60-day trial version of Microsoft Office Professional 2007.

After the OAA is installed, the customer can use a desktop icon to obtain a trial product key and find more information about Office Professional 2007.

60-Day Office Ready Trial

The free 60-day trial version of Office Professional 2007 is installed on PCs built by OEMs and system builders and shipped with the Windows Vista or Windows XP operating systems. To enable the customer to activate the trial, the system builder should install the following:

• Office Ready PC image that is included in the OPK Master Kit for the 2007 Office system
    • Office Activation Assistant""

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Monday, July 12, 2010 1:02 AM