Adding a drive and specifying it for backup RRS feed

• Question

• I've added two more drives to my  setup: 1.5TB (main, boot drive), 500GB via PCI SATA card & an old 80GB IDE. I wanted to have all folders duplicated to the 500GB drive but when I 'Added' it, the option to use as a backup or duplicated folders was lost because it needed formatting first.

The WHS Dummies book says that in v1, WHS put duplicate backups on a separate drive automatically. If so, why the option to 'add storage' (or similar) or 'use as backup' (or similar)? And now that my 500GB has been added as extra storage, can I re-configure it for duplicated folder backups specifically?

Thanks,

Chris

P.S. I hardly dare ask but, can I backup my Xbox360 to WHS? (I've seen threads with 'suggestions' or 'polls' - but none recenlty...)
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 9:54 AM

Answers

• Duplication places two copies of files in shares with duplication enabled on two physical drives, rather than having a single copy on a single drive. This protects your files from single drive failure (but not major disasters such as fire, flood, theft, etc.). A drive can be used in the storage pool, in which case Windows Home Server may use it for duplication, or it can be used as a backup drive, in which case you can choose to copy the contents of one or more shares to it (presumably to take off-site for security). A single drive can't be used for both purposes simultaneously.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by ChrisOfTheOT Monday, January 18, 2010 5:51 PM
    Monday, January 18, 2010 4:16 PM

All replies

• A drive can be added to Windows Home Server storage in two ways. It can be a server backup drive, allowing you to take a "point in time" snapshot of the contents of one or more shares, put it on that drive, and (presumably) take it off site for safekeeping. It can also be added to the storage pool, which will allow Windows Home Server to use it to store client computer backups and/or files that are in your server's shares.

To use the drive you've added as server storage for backing up your shares, you will have to first remove it from server storage, then disconnect it, (usually) leave it disconnected for 15-30 seconds, reconnect it, and when it appears in the Server Storage tab in the console, choose to add it as a backup drive instead.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 2:36 PM
  • Thanks (again) Ken.

I have become mixed up with the backup thing (please forgive my ignorance): does selecting duplicate for the shared folders mean that those duplicates are stored on a separate drive?

For instance; I have 'Duplication' set to 'On' for all the folders on the server (except the client backups). When I set up WHS I only installed the 1.5TB drive which therefore contains all folders & backups. Having added drives, will WHS then place duplicate shared folders onto one of the added drives or will it just add the duplicates to the largest (or system) drive? (And if so, will the above drive removal/adding effectively specify the 500GB drive for duplicates?)

(Also, sorry for the slight delay in replying but I spend so many hours a day staring into computer screens that I try never to boot up on Sundays. But this, of course, does not apply to the Xbox...)

Cheers,

Chris
    Monday, January 18, 2010 9:11 AM
  • Duplication places two copies of files in shares with duplication enabled on two physical drives, rather than having a single copy on a single drive. This protects your files from single drive failure (but not major disasters such as fire, flood, theft, etc.). A drive can be used in the storage pool, in which case Windows Home Server may use it for duplication, or it can be used as a backup drive, in which case you can choose to copy the contents of one or more shares to it (presumably to take off-site for security). A single drive can't be used for both purposes simultaneously.
    • Marked as answer by ChrisOfTheOT Monday, January 18, 2010 5:51 PM
    Monday, January 18, 2010 4:16 PM
  • Ah, that's what I was wondering - thanks Ken. As long as the shares exist on two physically different drives, that's what I was aiming at.

Thanks Ken (did I mention that?)

Cheers,

Chris
    Monday, January 18, 2010 5:54 PM