Can Windows 8 Replace Windows Home Server? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been considering WHS 2011 for a while, so long in fact it seems the product has now been cancelled and there will be no future versions.

Is the official stance that Windows 8 should be able to replace Home Server? Do any WHS users feel it has everything needed to be an ample replacement.

The thing I liked about WHS is it looks to be simple to setup (I can do an advanced setup but this is for home use, don't need/want a DC etc).

Should I just go for WHS 2011 and continue to run it for the next few years, or hold off and see if something similar based on Windows 8 emerges?

If I have answered your question, please mark it as the correct answer. If I have provided helpful information, please mark it as so.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 11:31 AM

All replies

• Go with WHS2011 if it meets your requirements as it will serve you well for a few years and it's cheap ($US50). Its main limitations are that it can't back up GPT/UEFI computers and has limitations on utilising newer high capacity disks - it can't back itself up to a disk >2TB.

You can do most of its functionality (without extra software) with W8 but not the automatic backup and bare metal recovery of clients - WHS is extremely easy to manage in comparison.

The W8 equivalent (and replacement for WHS2011) is Windows Server 2012 Essentials. It's more complicated (domain controller), a bit buggy and much more costly ($US400) but is managed in a similar way to WHS2011 but has removed the limitations of WHS2011 mentioned above.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 12:29 PM
  • W8 is a worthy replacement.  Storage spaces has drive extender functionality.  Bare metal backup is there with some digging.  See

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/12/using-windows-8s-hidden-backup-to-clone-and-recover-your-whole-pc/ 

Web server functions are available...turn them on through the add features option in the control panel.

Moving my web site to the new W8 server...need to investigate that.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 12:05 AM