Backup: Doesn't delete old backups? RRS feed

• Question

• I can't seem to get old/aging backups to delete.

First, no matter what I set the backup settings to, WHS never seems to drop old backups off the end of the list.  For example, I set it to save just one day, one week, and one month, yet in the backups for a particular client, I'll see all the prior backups listed (10 or more).

Second, if I manually select a backup and select delete, it gets marked with the trash can icon, but never gets deleted (I've waited days for the automatic clean-up to kickin).  So, I go to settings and manually select clean-up.  This never seems to work either.

So, to test again, I removed all my clients (after uninstalling the connector on each).  I then manually deleted all the backup files in the d:\folders\... folder.  And then did a clean-up.

I then manually created a backup on a single new client.

I then deleted the backup and did a clean-up.

This time, the backup did get removed from the backup listing screen.

However, the disk space used by PC Backups did not free up.

I looked in the D:\folders\... folder and the files did not seem to get deleted.

At this rate, my disk will fill and I'll have no way to free it up other than to remove all the clients and manually delete all backups again (which then leaves me with no backups).

Is anyone else seeing this, or am I mis-understanding how disk space should get freed up from obsolete or deleted backups??

Thursday, August 9, 2007 11:38 AM

Answers

• Mike,

Thank you for the report and the cab.

Were you notified of a database consistency error? The log says there's some inconsistency issue with one of the data files. It also stops cleanup from doing it's work.

To remove the backup database files, stop WHSBackup service and delete all the files under d:\\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}. Then restart WHSBackup service.

Fan

Monday, August 27, 2007 6:35 AM
  • Fan,

That seems to have done the trick. Thanks.

There were no database errors recently that I'm aware of, there was a couple of weeks ago when a Vista PC was removed from the network.

Monday, August 27, 2007 1:20 PM

All replies

• Is anybody else seeing this?  I can't seem to recover disk space when I try to delete old backups.

Am I worrying too soon?  My disks aren't yet full...does it wait until storage is low to start actually deleting?  (that doesn't really seem right..)

Here's my version info:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1424.2
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1424.2
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1424.2
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1424.2
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1424.2

Friday, August 10, 2007 1:20 PM
  •  

I have the same issue, I have marked ALL backups to be deleted, ran backup cleanup both auto and manually and nothing is being removed. I have all of my backups also set to keep monthly backups for 1 month, weekly backups for 1 week and daily backups for 1 day. None of them are being removed.
    Friday, August 10, 2007 3:45 PM
  • Hi, Martin and Mike,

Can you do this again (manual delete and manual cleanup) and then run the TalQ? It will help us diagnose with logs.

Thanks,

Fan

Monday, August 13, 2007 5:29 AM
  • I have the same problem but I'm not running out of space yet.

Monday, August 13, 2007 2:16 PM
  • Ok, I manually deleted a backup, then ran cleanup.

I then ran TalQ and submitted it (with my ID as the tag).

What I'm expecting to see, when I delete a backup and cleanup, is some of the large files in the backup folder to be deleted.  (D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}).  For example, I had 3 backups for my client listed on WHS.  And, I also had 3 large files in the backup folder:

Data.4096.0.dat     4,194,304 KB

Data.4096.1.dat     4,194,304 KB

Data.4096.2.dat     2,879,916 KB

Am I simply mis-understanding what is supposed to get cleaned up??

My concern is that, if this continues, I'll run out of disk space (not an immediate problem) and if clean-up doesn't free that space back up, I don't see an end to it...

Maybe it has to age > 1 month or something??

I've been unable to find a detailed explanation about what really goes on...

Monday, August 13, 2007 5:23 PM
  •  

Martin,

Thank you. I'll dig into the logs. When you delete a backup from the admin console, it may not incurr significant changes in the disk space.

Think about it this way: If you have two backups for the same volume, removing one of them will only remove the different files between those two. Two backups have a lot of common files that won't be removed.As a result, you may find some data files shrink a little bit but not eliminated completely.

HTH,

Fan

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 2:40 AM
  • That's a really good point about the net disk savings from deleting a single backup possibly being trivial...I hadn't thought of that.

To test it better, I'll now add a 2nd client and back it up...check the disk consumption on the server, then delete the 2nd client's backup and do a clean-up.  Then, I should see a substantial disk space change...

But perhaps before I do that, the minor incremental backup disk change should work the other way also.

So, I'll do a couple additional backups on the single client I have right now and watch the disk storage change.  I should see a negligible increase in disk storage for subsequent backups (assuming virtually no changes on that client)...

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 6:28 PM
  • Sorry been out of town.

Three Windows XP PC's connected to WHS, I set all backups to delete on next clean up and then manually ran disk cleanup. All backups are still present and showing 102GB of space used for backups. Additionally two PC's have been removed from the network entirely so their backup's should have been deleted anyway if I'm understanding things correctly.

I submitted a TalQ from both one of the clients and the server as far as I know I cant submit bug reports anymore so CAB #'s are:

client 369745759

server 369745288

Saturday, August 25, 2007 12:54 PM
  • I think the key is they are all xp boxes so adding or removing one is not going to change much because the backup engine is so efective.

Only way to see a real change would be to trash can every backup, the manually start backup cleanup.

Then with no backups, you should have space.

Then backup just one xp box.  Look at space used, then add a second xp box and notice no real growth..

Still...

Saturday, August 25, 2007 2:02 PM
  • I understand how the backups work, but if you set them to all be deleted and manually run cleanup it should delete them all correct?

I set set every backup to delete on next clean up, then manually ran clean up. All backups are still present and space used is still 100+GB. I have over a months worth of daily backups showing under view backups when under settings I have number of months to keep monthly backup set to 1, weeks to keep weekly backup set to 1 and days to keep daily backup set to 1.

The two PC's that were completely removed were not both XP boxes, one was vista one was XP.

Sunday, August 26, 2007 11:20 AM
  • Ok, I have a newer build.  Let me see what I can find out.

Still...

Sunday, August 26, 2007 11:35 PM
  • Mike,

Thank you for the report and the cab.

Were you notified of a database consistency error? The log says there's some inconsistency issue with one of the data files. It also stops cleanup from doing it's work.

To remove the backup database files, stop WHSBackup service and delete all the files under d:\\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}. Then restart WHSBackup service.

Fan

Monday, August 27, 2007 6:35 AM
  • Fan,

That seems to have done the trick. Thanks.

There were no database errors recently that I'm aware of, there was a couple of weeks ago when a Vista PC was removed from the network.

Monday, August 27, 2007 1:20 PM
  •  

Mike,

Just would like to confirm. Before you hit the problem, was your WHS low in disk space?

Thanks,

Fan

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 9:00 AM
  • No I had about 150Gb of free disk space if i recall correctly. I just noticed old backups were not being removed during the scheduled disk cleanup thats when I started looking more into it.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 7:06 PM
  •  

Thanks, Mike. I checked again and seems it's a bug we have fixed in RTM.
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 4:32 AM