more RAM RRS feed

• Question

• I've had my WHS setup for a few days now. It has a 250gb drive as a primary, and then I added another 250 the other night. The computer runs really slow, and when I'm logged in locally (had to do so to restore some backed-up data when I added the new drive) it often freezes for minutes at a time. Also, the console sometimes freezes. Pulling data off the network is usually ok, as I haven't had any problems with it freezes in those situations.

Anyway, I'm guessing it's the storage-balancing that is causing things to run slowly. I don't really have much $$ to put into it, but was wondering if maybe getting some more RAM would help. Here's my current hardware:
    Athlon XP 2400, 512MB RAM, 250gb IDE, 250gb SATA (using a Rosewill PCI card)

I was thinking of buying either a 512 stick or a 1gb stick. I know that more RAM will help, but will I really notice the difference?

Oh, I also have VMware running off of a 40gb drive that is not in the storage pool, and have 256MB of RAM allocated to that.
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 5:28 AM

All replies

• I would have 2GB in it, it's only about £15 a gig anyway

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 11:28 AM
  • 512 MB is the minimum hardware requirement, and Windows Home Server isn't intended as a platform for virtual machines, so yes you need more memory. Your VM is crippling your system as it stands. For your application, I agree with the other poster who recommended that you upgrade to 2 GB.
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 12:41 PM
  • Honestly, the reason that I didn't mention the VM until the end is that the system has the same level of responsiveness without the VM running. Things are still slow, there are still freezes and general slowness.
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 5:32 PM
  • could imply waiting for hard drive re-tries, do the disks check out with SMART status?

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 5:45 PM