none
Are there limitations or warnings about loading thousands of locations? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working with someone who wants to load 8000 sites into MapPoint. Is there a limitation on MapPoint? If not, are there suggestions on working with that many sites?

The sites are broken down into 3 types

• 500 of Type A
    • 6000 of Type B
    • 1500 of Type C

They need to be loaded in so that driving routes can be planned between, say, 10 sites at a time.

First, I imagine we'd color code the 3 types of sites. I'm concerned about looking for a Site B and scrolling through 6000 items. Maybe I'm worrying about this too much, and it's not really a big deal.

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:18 PM

All replies

• There is a limitation although I'm not sure the exact amount - I'm pretty certain it is above 10,000 pushpins per pushpin set.

MapPoint will slow down with that many pins loaded and displayed. Recent versions of MapPoint do let you hide pushpin sets, so this might help if it is a problem.

It depends how you want to view and use your data, but you could load it as three pushpin sets with three different symbols (A,B,C);  or you can use the Multiple Symbol (ie. pushpin set) option. This can display up to 8 different pushpin types in one pushpin, with the symbol set by one of the datafields (eg. you could have a datafield called "Type").

Richard Marsden
    MapPoint Add-ins at Mapping-Tools.com

Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:24 PM
  • There used to be a hard coded limit of 10,000, but that has been removed in version 2010. Here it is straight from an MSFT employee: click here

http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/

Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:36 PM