How do I swap out the primary drive for bigger drive? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone.  I am a WHS newbie, and I have installed the OEM version on a brand new Dell 531 with a single 250gig drive.  I now want to find out how I can put in a new 500gig drive as the primary, and take the 250gig out completely without having to re-install WHS.  Any help would be great.  Thanks everyone.

TF

Saturday, December 1, 2007 5:16 PM

Answers

• TF,

If you only have the one drive, your options are rather limited!

The best option would be to use a drive copy tool, such as Paragon, or Acronis, to duplicate your existing drive to your new drive. There isn't a way for you to install your new drive and do a re-install with only having the one.

Colin

Saturday, December 1, 2007 5:58 PM
  • Most hard drives come with a tools disk (at least WD and Maxtor does) that will do a perfect 1:1 copy of an old disk to the new oen.  These disks are usually bootable so it's really easy.  Just put your new drive in with the old one and boot up from the disk and follow the instructions.  Then remove old drive and have the new one as your primary master.
    Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:24 PM
  • So, has anyone out there tried to do a clone of the primary drive to upgrade the drive to a bigger size?  I have installed acronis migrate 7.0 onto the whs server, and just want to make sure it will work before I potentially ruin things.  I have the new 500gb drive ready to go to replace my smaller single drive WHS drive.  Thanks.

TF

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 7:07 PM
  • I initially installed a test WHS instance onto an 80 gig drive. When my black friday 650gig specials arrived I used Ghost to clone the 80 into the 650 and I resized the C:\ (sys) partition to 40 gigs.   Booting off the the 650 resulted in WHS still looking for the original 80gig drive.  WHS seems to hard code itself to the disk hardware it is present on.  I didn't see an obvious way to have it accept the C:\ partition on the new disk as being the proper hardware.

For grin's I stuck the 80 gig back into the system along with the 650.  It booted fine but WHS got quite confused about the D: partition and explorer kept flashing 60gigs no 560gigs for the size. There was an unhappy process leaking memory so I stopped the experiment and reinstalled WHS onto the 40gig partition on the black friday special.

WHS is running fine with a 40gig C:\ partition but parts of the system obviously hard coded to the 20gig size.  Kind've silly to look at some of the graphics and add-ins reporting that I only have "20GB" C: partition.
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 5:00 PM

All replies

• TF,

If you only have the one drive, your options are rather limited!

The best option would be to use a drive copy tool, such as Paragon, or Acronis, to duplicate your existing drive to your new drive. There isn't a way for you to install your new drive and do a re-install with only having the one.

Colin

Saturday, December 1, 2007 5:58 PM
  • Most hard drives come with a tools disk (at least WD and Maxtor does) that will do a perfect 1:1 copy of an old disk to the new oen.  These disks are usually bootable so it's really easy.  Just put your new drive in with the old one and boot up from the disk and follow the instructions.  Then remove old drive and have the new one as your primary master.
    Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:24 PM
  • I think that you would be best off if you moved any data from the 250gig WHS to another computer. Then remove the 250 replace and install WHS as new. After install move data back. I would also put the 250 back into the WHS and activate

Duplication for any folders to be protected by WHS. Sounds like a lot of messing around, but will end up with a fresh install of WHS and folder duplication. I don't think that an image will work when moving to a larger Hardrive as primary in WHS anyway.

Sunday, December 2, 2007 3:37 PM
  • So, has anyone out there tried to do a clone of the primary drive to upgrade the drive to a bigger size?  I have installed acronis migrate 7.0 onto the whs server, and just want to make sure it will work before I potentially ruin things.  I have the new 500gb drive ready to go to replace my smaller single drive WHS drive.  Thanks.

TF

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 7:07 PM
  • I initially installed a test WHS instance onto an 80 gig drive. When my black friday 650gig specials arrived I used Ghost to clone the 80 into the 650 and I resized the C:\ (sys) partition to 40 gigs.   Booting off the the 650 resulted in WHS still looking for the original 80gig drive.  WHS seems to hard code itself to the disk hardware it is present on.  I didn't see an obvious way to have it accept the C:\ partition on the new disk as being the proper hardware.

For grin's I stuck the 80 gig back into the system along with the 650.  It booted fine but WHS got quite confused about the D: partition and explorer kept flashing 60gigs no 560gigs for the size. There was an unhappy process leaking memory so I stopped the experiment and reinstalled WHS onto the 40gig partition on the black friday special.

WHS is running fine with a 40gig C:\ partition but parts of the system obviously hard coded to the 20gig size.  Kind've silly to look at some of the graphics and add-ins reporting that I only have "20GB" C: partition.
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 5:00 PM
  • The philosophy seems to be that "bigger is better" for the primary/system drive but I have seen some discussions recently saying that with 3+ drive systems you may not want the biggest drive as your primary.  For example, if you had a WHS with 1x500 Gig and 2x 1TB then it might make more sense to have the 500 Gig as the primary since WHS apparently likes to move data off of the primary disk as possible.

Therefore I am wondering if you really need to replace your primary drive?  Perhaps 250 Gig is big enough for the primary but if you have duplication selected then you might want another 500Gig in your system.

Friday, December 7, 2007 5:48 PM
  • There's an thread in the FAQ forum on this:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1258811&SiteID=50
    Friday, December 7, 2007 7:53 PM
  • I am having a very similar problem. I'm trying to replace a failing 500GB SATA hard drive with a WD 2TB SATA drive and run a "server reinstall", which seems to work, but none of the data drives are seen as data drives, they are seen as disks not added to the storage pool. I really have tried just about everything except the "registry entry  trick" so far. Right now, I'm copying all of my data (3TB) from the server to another disk (2, actually), then I'll do a fresh server install with the new SATA drives, then recreate all of my shares and copy the 3TB of data over the network back to the server. Overall, I've been very happy with WHS over the past 4 years or so I've had it, but this is the end of the road. The inability to "seamlessly" replace a failed system drive is a showstopper for me and I will be looking for a suitable replacement for the WHS solution ASAP.
    Art Zasadny
    Sunday, December 5, 2010 3:48 PM