Subscription - frustration RRS feed

• Question

• I have several software products that I buy on a subscription basis (like salesforce etc.) and you by far make it more difficult than any other subscription service I have encountered.

I have three computers on OneCare and when I renewed my subscription the other computers were not renewed.  Please explain how to do this and why you have made it so difficult?

Thanks

Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:23 PM

Answers

• For the one that is using v1.6, it may be having a problem getting updates. It seems that it is an update from pre-1.5 as only older installs would not show the subscription ID, which was a feature implemented in 1.5 fr new installs. You may want to uninstall that one and reinstall from http://onecare.live.com which will net you v2.0. Activate with the LiveID shown in your 2.0 copy.

Note that a reinstall will require you to reconfigure any settings such as schedules, allowed programs in the firewall, etc. and your backup, if used, will also need to be started anew.

Let me know what you see on the office PC.

-steve

Sunday, January 13, 2008 10:43 PM

All replies

• Are all 3 computers using the same LiveID as the subscription ID? Open Help, click About in OneCare.

Are the two computers that are showing expired, still receiving updates? Click Check for Updates in OneCare.

What versions are the two other PCs running? Help/About

-steve

Sunday, January 13, 2008 9:08 PM
  • Thank you Steve for your help.  When I open Windows Live OneCare and hit help, about Windows it brings up a dialog box that provides the Version 1.6.2111.38 etc.  I had read on one of the help items that it should also have my Windows Live OneCare email address associated with the account in the dialog box - but alas, unfortunately ther is no email address.  The other PC is running version 2.02 and the third is at the office (I will check on Monday).

Sunday, January 13, 2008 9:49 PM
  • For the one that is using v1.6, it may be having a problem getting updates. It seems that it is an update from pre-1.5 as only older installs would not show the subscription ID, which was a feature implemented in 1.5 fr new installs. You may want to uninstall that one and reinstall from http://onecare.live.com which will net you v2.0. Activate with the LiveID shown in your 2.0 copy.

Note that a reinstall will require you to reconfigure any settings such as schedules, allowed programs in the firewall, etc. and your backup, if used, will also need to be started anew.

Let me know what you see on the office PC.

-steve

Sunday, January 13, 2008 10:43 PM