none
Connector installation fails with 'absurd' reason RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there!

A few days ago I needed to completely re-install my WHS 2011 from scratch, after formatting all HDs.

Everything went well but:

I cannot connect to the server from a test PC because the Connector software aborts with this error message "Cannot connect the computer to the server because either another software installation is in progress, or, the computer has a restart pending. Either complete the installation process, or, restart the computer and try to connect it again".

Neither of these conditions apply, and I've restarted both the test machine and the server, to no avail.

I also eradicated any trace of previous connector remnants, logs etc. on the test machine.

Would greatly appreciate any pointers to what is going on!

NB: I can of course navigate to the server on my LAN and access all shared folders, so I am fairly sure there's nothing wrong with the physical/networking connection?

"The price of comfort is eternal maintenance" (LMH, ca. 1982)
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:56 AM

Answers

• Problem solved, with the (earlier) help from Phil Harrison:

I had been told that Logitech software causes most of these problems, but I forgot that I inadvertently installed Logitech webcam software when prompted as I reinstalled my Windows 7 on the wretched machine.

Uninstalled Logitech – and pronto: I could connect without problems to the WHS 2011 and am just doing the first backup for this machine since August...

A la bonne heure LOL

Cheers,

LMH

Monday, September 26, 2011 5:02 AM

All replies

• To work around the pending reboot issue try this:
    1. Open Regedit
    2. Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"
    3. Rename the "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2"

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:29 AM
  • Thanks Phil, will check that out tomorrow and report back...

BTW I had this morning looked at the \logs directory on my PC, found the CSetup.log and discovered that intriguing entry: TaskCheckPendingReboot:: Run -RegKey Value PendingFileRenameOperations [System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager] is not empty - which then failed the installation...

I checked and FileRenameOperations IS empty!

Will get to it tomorrow with your tipe.

Cheers,

LMH

Monday, August 22, 2011 10:06 AM
  • Also, if exists a key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Installer/InProgress try to delete it.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, August 22, 2011 12:00 PM
  • Hello Olaf!

Thanks for that - but unfortunately there is NO such key at that location.

Have to hunt further, e.g. there's a folder Windows Server which lists subfolders Client deployment and under that one, Internal. In the Internal folder it states: Deployment stage  REG_DWORD0 (2), and TaskIndex(2).

Perhaps should alter those to 0???

Greetings from Australia

Lutz Huesch

NB: Still have to try Phil Harrisons tip

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:55 AM
  • Before starting installation, you could try to delete or rename that Windows Server folder.

Also check, if there exists any instance of msiexec.exe already in Task manager under processes. Such processes can be caused by automatic updates of wanted software or, in some cases, by malware.

If such process exists, you can attempt to end the task before attempting another installation of Connector software.

Olaf

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:06 AM
  • Thanks again! But I can neither rename nor delete the key, its sub-keys, or indeed modify any values e.g. in the Internal value of (2)...

And there is no rpt no instance of msieexec running.

Will keep trying.

Cheers,

LMH

Postscript: I did manage to delete the Windows Server folder eventually, but the Connector installation failed with the same error msg. And each attempted installation restores the Windows Serrver folder, with the same sub-keys and values

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:23 AM
  • If the key is there, that's almost certainly your problem. You need to run Regedit on your Client as an Administrator.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 11:28 AM
  • Hi Phil,

I did eventually delete that folder (as stated in a postscript to my reply to Olaf above), and today went through the registry with a fine-toothed comb, deleting and/or zeroing every instance/value of anything to do with Windows Server and/or Home Server Connector.

I then reloaded the connector software from the SERVER/connect location - and it aborted with the initial error, as if nothing had changed!

And of course the Windows Server folder and all its contents etc. were restored by the CSetup beast...

Looks like I may have to reinstall Win 7 on the client machine if I can't track down the source of the problem.

Thanks for your input!

Cheers,

Lutz Huesch

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:09 AM
  • You could try to download and (re)install .NET Framework 4 manually - this helped somebody else in a similar situation.

Olaf

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:51 AM
  • Downloaded web installer and ran it. Offered Repair or Remove .net 4. I chose Repair.

The installation then failed for reasons that are somewhere in this log below, but which I can't really understand... (it's getting late here, sorry):

OS Version = 6.1.7601, Platform 2, Service Pack 1
    OS Description = Windows 7 - x64 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1
    CommandLine = H:\39959c52ae7d803b3fa1\\Setup.exe /x86 /x64 /ia64 /web
    TimeZone = AUS Eastern Standard Time
    Initial LCID = 3081
    Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism

Operation: Repairing
    Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup
    Package Version = 4.0.30319
    User Experience Data Collection Policy: AlwaysUploaded

Number of applicable items: 4
    WinHttpDetectAutoProxyConfigUrl failed with error: 12180
    Unable to retrieve Proxy information although WinHttpGetIEProxyConfigForCurrentUser called succeeded
    Exe (C:\Users\Luis\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_4.0.30319\Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu) failed with 0x240006 - (null).
    MSI (C:\Users\Luis\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_4.0.30319\netfx_Core_x64.msi) repair operation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20110825_202043024-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
    Exe (H:\39959c52ae7d803b3fa1\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
    Exe Log File: dd_SetupUtility.txt
    MSI (C:\Users\Luis\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_4.0.30319\netfx_Core_x64.msi) repair operation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20110825_202043024-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
    Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643), "Fatal error during installation. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:01:24).

Kind regards from Australia, where we're finally getting somewhere near spring!

LMH

Thursday, August 25, 2011 10:35 AM
  • Two other things you can try:

1. Download the standalone .Net Framework installer and use that, instead of the web installer.
    2. Remove .Net framework 4.0 completely and reinstall it.

I don't promise either will resolve your issue, though.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:26 PM
  • Thank you for the suggestions - tried the uninstall first and that aborted with a 'fatal error' for the .net 4 framework itself. I cannot uninstall the client software without uninstalling the framework first...

Haven't tried to download the standalone installer yet but will try later today.

Cheers,

LMH

Friday, August 26, 2011 5:10 AM
  • Thank you for the suggestions - tried the uninstall first and that aborted with a 'fatal error' for the .net 4 framework itself.
    This is, obviously, not good. It implies that something has corrupted your .Net Framework installation on the client with the issue. I'll be honest; if it was me, I'd back up (however I might need to) any data on that client and wipe it completely. It's way more invasive than fixing the framework, but A) there's no guarantee you can fix the framework issues in the first place, and B) who knows how much time you'll invest if you try, whether you succeed or not?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 26, 2011 12:50 PM
  • You are perfectly right, Ken, reinstalling Win7 now looks like my only option... I've already backed up everything remotely useful, so will probably 'bite into the sour apple' - as we Germans would say - this weekend.

Just to leave no stone unturned, I downloaded the full dot.net framework installer and tried to run it: it went some paces and then died, with another fatal error! It is interesting that when you run the installer, it only offers to Repair or Uninstall the softeware - I had naively hoped it might attempt a new installation, wiping any traces of existing .net stuff as it went... No way, Jose!

Thanks to you, Olaf Engelke and Phil Harrison for taking the time to try and help me in this predicament!

Cheers,

Lutz Huesch

Saturday, August 27, 2011 6:30 AM
  • Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

us zip code

Saturday, August 27, 2011 8:13 AM
  • There I find, under PendingFileRenameOperations, the value \\??\C:\Windows\TEMP\logishrd\LVPrcInj01.dll

No clue what it does or represents - you reckon it should be o.k. to delete it?

Thanks.

LMH

Edit corrects name of Logitech? .dll

• Edited by carioca_da_gema Saturday, August 27, 2011 9:20 AM correct file name
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 9:00 AM
  • Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

us zip code

Isn't that what I recommended in my first post above?

Saturday, August 27, 2011 12:18 PM
  • You did indeed, Phil! Trouble is, I couldn't find such a key among the sub-keys under this entry...

Only when rtryrtry suggested the same thing again, I did not expand the entry to see sub-keys, but instead just clicked on the Session Manager entry and voila: there was the PendingFileRenames thing!

Unfortunately, it only contained some Logitech .dll which on reflection I deleted anyway.

No progress yet on the initial error and will likely spend today re-installing Win7 and programs LOL seeing that I've practically finished that distracting tiling job in my 'office'.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

LMH

Saturday, August 27, 2011 11:11 PM
  • Logitech (webcam) has been the cause of most of the problems where this fix works.
    Sunday, August 28, 2011 1:00 AM
  • Hello Phil,

I'd replied yesterday but it seems my message to the forum went astray. Here it is again:

Yes, I read up about these issues... but now that I've deleted the Logitech .dll in the PendingFileRenames folder, I still get the same 'absurd' error message when I try to install the connector...

I did notice one thing I hadn't noticed before: on the SERVER, there is a folder referring to Integration components etc and mentioning my affected PC by name in the path, e.g. \\merval\

If I follow the path, the server returns an error message 'path not found'.

Could it be that this is a remnant of a first incomplete installation attempt by the connector? If so, would it be safe to delete these bits (I haven't got the Server up at the moment, so I don't have the exact names in the folder) ?

Rgds,

LMH

NB: I've found the same stuff on the PC, the integration components there were two .iso files - I deleted the entire folder on the PC but haven't touched the server yet. Is it safe to do so?

Cheers,

Lutz Huesch

Monday, August 29, 2011 1:30 AM
  • No idea what those folders might be - I do not have them on either of my two Servers or client PCs!
    Monday, August 29, 2011 2:48 AM
  • "Integration components" are part of either Windows Virtual PC or
    Hyper-V if you have those in the equation somewhere...

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Monday, August 29, 2011 1:17 PM
  • Thanks Bob - I am an idiot: a year or two back I had installed Virtual PC on the machine in question to test run some older XP programs - I totally forgot this was still in my 'armory'... The two .iso files in that folder were the virtual PC and XP-mode images that would be called upon as required...

I guess I can restore this folder.

Looks like I'm getting paranoid with that 'absurd' error LOL and keep wiping anything remotely related!

Strange though that the SERVER should have a pointer to that user/directory after the server remake when the PC itself hasn't been connected successfully...

Cheers,

LMH
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:57 AM
  • Finally bit the bullet, re-installed Win7 from scratch - when trying to connect to WHS - wait, you've guessed it! - still get the same idiotic error message...

Back to square one, and to think that I went to all this trouble to get it fixed!

I will now try to re-install the Server from scratch - shame about the back-ups (but I may have off-line B/U). Will report further.

BTW, the Server fails each time to install definition update for Windows Defender, curiouser and curioser. When I try online help, the thing claims I have no Internet conenction, another patently absurd claim...

Cheers,

Luckily it's a rainy day

Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:10 AM
  • Problem solved, with the (earlier) help from Phil Harrison:

I had been told that Logitech software causes most of these problems, but I forgot that I inadvertently installed Logitech webcam software when prompted as I reinstalled my Windows 7 on the wretched machine.

Uninstalled Logitech – and pronto: I could connect without problems to the WHS 2011 and am just doing the first backup for this machine since August...

A la bonne heure LOL

Cheers,

LMH

Monday, September 26, 2011 5:02 AM