XP crash can't access backup on new Windows 7 machine RRS feed

• General discussion

• My XP machine has died (but the hard drive survived) and since everything I want back has been backing up through OneCare I felt the purchase of a Windows 7 machine would not pose such a challenge.  I was wrong..since OneCare is no longer being sold it isn't compatible with Win 7.  I can't install it on my new machine AND the other machines that have also been using it can't access my files from my old machine.  So here's my question..how do I recover my backed up data now that you know my situation?

UPDATE:  After some hunting around I found a message about the restore tool.  Here is the link : http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=165528 Though the tool itself was not for Windows 7 from what I've read ..it does work.  I can now access my old files and have been able to recover most of them.  This has made everything worth it.  I can now start trying to enjoy my new computer and look forward to years of 'puting.
    • Changed type Kevin Newton Monday, December 14, 2009 2:06 AM Solved on my own
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 2:15 AM

All replies