Excel "Errors were detected while trying to save" in Live Mesh folder RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen this a few times, and am not sure if it is an Excel 2007 problem or a Live Mesh problem.

The symptoms are that when I try to save an Excel 2007 spreadsheet which happens to be in a Meshed folder I get the error message "Errors were detected while trying to save". Excel then gives me the option of trying to repair the errors and save a new copy of the file under a different name. When I do this, I get the message "Excel found no errors". The spreadsheet is really simple, one worksheet only. It only seems to happen when I leave the spreadsheet open for a long time (hours).

Anyone else seen anything like this?
    Friday, June 20, 2008 4:24 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Some programs don't expect any other programs to open or touch their files.  So when they do, they throw up strange dialogs to the user.  The Live Mesh client shares out all read/write/delete permissions when it opens a file to upload to the cloud, so a well behaved application shouldn't throw these kind of warnings.  If you do see this more often then not, please do as Ben suggests and show us your logs.

Thanks!
    Richard
    Richard Chung [ Live Mesh ]
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 1:45 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi imabanana,

Please feel free to submit a bug report if you suspect Live Mesh to be causing the issue.  If you attach your Live Mesh logs (preferably collected soon after you see this error in Excel) we can look into it further.  Instructions for submitting a bug with logs are at the top of the forums.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Friday, June 20, 2008 6:56 PM
  • imabanana said:

I've seen this a few times, and am not sure if it is an Excel 2007 problem or a Live Mesh problem.

The symptoms are that when I try to save an Excel 2007 spreadsheet which happens to be in a Meshed folder I get the error message "Errors were detected while trying to save". Excel then gives me the option of trying to repair the errors and save a new copy of the file under a different name. When I do this, I get the message "Excel found no errors". The spreadsheet is really simple, one worksheet only. It only seems to happen when I leave the spreadsheet open for a long time (hours).

Anyone else seen anything like this?

Not with Live Mesh, but I've seen a similar issue here with a spreadsheet (again, very simple) that is stored on a network share location AND, like you, someone had left it open for a period of time during which there was some inactivity.

I don't know if that's similar to Live Mesh's view of the world, but we eventually reverted to saving the file with a new name each time.
    Friday, June 20, 2008 10:28 PM
  • Hello,

Some programs don't expect any other programs to open or touch their files.  So when they do, they throw up strange dialogs to the user.  The Live Mesh client shares out all read/write/delete permissions when it opens a file to upload to the cloud, so a well behaved application shouldn't throw these kind of warnings.  If you do see this more often then not, please do as Ben suggests and show us your logs.

Thanks!
    Richard
    Richard Chung [ Live Mesh ]
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 1:45 AM
    Answerer
  • OK I submitted Bug ID 352294, with CAB.

When I move the file to my Desktop, it saves normally. When I move it back into the Mesh folder, the problem occurs. It appears to be a direct interaction between Excel 2007 and Live Mesh.
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 11:02 AM