none
First steps into obtaining MOS and MCT certifications RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I am looking to become a Microsoft Certified Trainer on Office 2010 (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and SharePoint). I have extensive experience with these applications as well as in devising and delivering training programmes. I am setting up a training business, initially solely specilised on Microsoft products. I have a few questions please:

Where do I find the costs for the MOS exams? Can they be paid in sterling? Are they done online? Are there resources available free to prepare for these exams?

What are the MCT requirements in the UK? Are there course materials available to trainers after the certification?

Thanks for your time and input. Any other advise is welcome. Regards

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 1:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Anna,

Good to hear you are interested in the MCT programme. I'll try to answer your questions as precise as possible.

The MOS exams are conducted via Certiport. You can visit their website here: www.certiport.com. When I have questions with regards to the exams you can easily pop an email and you'll see that the response is often fast and accurate. So for prices i'd have to redirect you to them. Some companies ask additional examcosts for administrative tasks so it may vary per trainingcenter but to give you a global figure about $80 or $90 dollars might be a figure you see around a lot. Ofcourse you can pay in sterling that's no problem. You buy vouchers (registration numbers) which you have to enter in the dialogboxes when the exams is setup.

To become an MCT you first have to pass a minimum of one 2010 exam. But if you really want to stand out make sure you have them all :-) I allways make sure i have them all so i can show my students that i'm qualified for their training. You neede to provide proof of your instructional skills. You can do this by following a TTT course for instance CompTia or if you have an educational teachers degree that counts as well. Another point is the annual fee you have to pay. If you are an Office MCT you pay less than if you are a Technical trainer. So if you stick to Office you are fine.

The exams are online, you need an internet connection. You do however need the client software as well (meaning office 2010 and the certiport exam engine). When the exam is taken you are actually doing it online using the client software. Resources for the exams constist of step by step books and prep exams via certiport (not free though!). As far as I know there aren't any free exam preparations around.

Once you are certified as an MCT you get a lot of benifits one of them being allowed to access the courseware library. Unfortunately the Office material there is not exam specific but weel suited for regular training.

Read about the MCT certification here: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mct.aspx

Hope you will succeed in becoming the next MOS MCT. You will be in good company ;-) 

Maurice
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:40 PM