WHS Recovery Environment is a joke! RRS feed

• General discussion

• Like many other people I am getting the usual "WHS Server cannot be found" error message when trying to restore from either my HTPC, Workstation or Laptop. I have tried all the relevant suggestions, x86 nic drivers etc to no avail. I am glad I tried it before I actually needed to restore otherwise I would be in a world of hurt.

I assume that restoring over the LAN is the only option and copying the backup image to a USB drive is out of the question?

WHS is great besides the recovery environment it feels half assed and is really one of the most important aspects I really don't know how this got stuffed up but it NEEDS to be fixed ASAP. Give users some more advanced options like static IP Settings, restore from a USB Hard drive etc at the moment if you get the dreaded error above you have to sit there trying to work out if it is your nic drivers, Network cable, DHCP problems and you get no other error messages to try and troubleshoot.

I was looking forward to a nice intergrated solution but looks like I am going back to Storagecraft as I know the backups work and so does the recovery environment, plus I can restore to other hardware.

Microsoft if you are listening don't expect WHS to become a mainstream product if people can't even restore their PC's.

If anyone has any suggestions fire away.

cheers
    Monday, January 4, 2010 2:13 PM

All replies

• Well, make it better, I would say.
    While there are certain points which should be made better and have already be suggested to the team, it is not possible to cover all potential hardware and network configurations with a given set of tools and drivers. Not each driver package offered for a native OSlike Vista will also work in the Windows Vista Recovery environment.
    If you hit such a configuration, you have two options:
    How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work in the CD based restore environment
    or maybe the method described in the thread How to restore a computer using Windows7 DVD. involving the creation of an own Windows 7 based recovery environment.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, January 4, 2010 2:51 PM
  • I don't think anyone expects them to be able to cover all the Hardware that's not really the issue, the problem is the lack of any advanced options/customization in the recovery environment. If you have a problem that's and it doesn't work you don't have anywhere to go.

If the following changes were made I think most people wouldn't have any issues:

1. When booting have a Network/USB option for users who have Network issues and allow users to browse a USB drive for backup images.
    2. Give users some error messages to go off instead of just saying "Server cannot be found"
    3. Give users the ability to assign a static IP Address which will resolve DHCP issues
    4. Support x64 Network Card drivers

As I mentioned earlier the restore part of any Storage/Backup system is the most important and in this case seems to be the most overlooked which just baffles me. If they fix the recovery environment they will have a great product and for the people who can restore without issues it is already there but for lots of people with problems restoring it is a gastly oversight and I am sure lots of people who haven't needed to restore yet will get bitten when they do actually need it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but WHS has been out for roughly 2+ years, been a long time to fix these issues and nothing has happend in 2 years so I wouldn't hold my breath for a quick fix.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:34 PM