Windows 7 x64 Installation Error RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Intel Q9450 quad core, part of an existing system on which I'm running Vista Ultimate 32 bit. Mobo is an Asus P5Q. I am trying to install dual boot with 64 bit Win 7 on a separate partition (a freshly formatted hard drive). I am also using the 2102 BIOS. I have previously had the Win 7 Beta 64 bit installed on this computer on the hard drive I'm trying to install on now.

I boot from the Win 7 DVD and make it through the Install screen. Windows copies files and then sits at "expanding files 0%" for several minutes. I then get the 0x80070006 error:
    "Windows cannot install required files. Network problems may be preventing Windows from accessing the files. Make sure the computer is connected to the network and restart the installation."

I have downloaded the 64 bit Win 7 driver for the on-board network card and loaded it before starting the Win 7 installation process. Is there some other driver that I'm missing? Have others been able to install Win 7 64 bit on a P5Q?
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello CapnSensible,

This forum is for support of of Vista Validation issues.  Your post does not appear to be Vlaidation related.

I recommend reporting your issue in either the Vista or Windows 7 Answers Forums

Vista Answers Forum: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsvista

Windows 7 Answers Forum: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:05 PM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:05 PM
  • I'd just like to comment that I had this problem as well for a few days and as an engineer I really wanted to KNOW what could fix this issue. So I tried all the suggestions found via Google including but not limited to: flashing bios, disabling all peripherals, re-burning isos, etc... What it was was my RAM. I had 4x2G to start, went down to 2x2G and it still hung. When I finally dropped to 1x2G it installed perfectly. I don't usually post, but this was so difficult to find an answer to on-line that I wanted to put it up there and hope it helps.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 5:35 PM