The Hub Computer RRS feed

• Question

• I just recieved my version update, everything went fine, except I have a question: I was somewhat taken aback when I was asked whether I wanted to make this computer the hub. The reason is, while this computer is the only one we have, we plan on getting another one in the near future, so I answered yes. I don't want to seem naive, but did I do the right thing?
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:05 AM

Answers

• No, there's no problem with answering this question. It simply means that any other computers that you add OneCare to and activate with the same LiveID for your subscription will be monitored on the hub computer - that is the status of OneCare. If the monitored PC goes to yellow or red status, you will see this on your hub PC and can sometimes even take action on the hub for the monitored PC.

-steve

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:37 AM

All replies

• No, there's no problem with answering this question. It simply means that any other computers that you add OneCare to and activate with the same LiveID for your subscription will be monitored on the hub computer - that is the status of OneCare. If the monitored PC goes to yellow or red status, you will see this on your hub PC and can sometimes even take action on the hub for the monitored PC.

-steve

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:37 AM
  • To add a couple of variations on the original question:

If I assign a host computer now, can I change later which computer is to be the host?

Does it make sense to assign a laptop to be a host? Would anything be affected if the laptop being host was not on the network (backup, updates, etc)?

In a couple of months I will buy another computer that will become my main workstation, and I would like this new one to be the host controlling 2 other computers. So - if the host cannot be changed, I would wait... or would specify my laptop as the host if there were no limitations here...

Thanks!

Robert

Thursday, January 17, 2008 2:27 AM
  • Yes, you can "demote" a PC from hub status in your Circle at any time. You can make any or all PCs in your Circle be the Hub at any time.

A laptop can certainly be a hub, but if you configure Centralized backup, I'd suggest not using an external drive or Share on the laptop as a destination if it is often off network.

-steve

Thursday, January 17, 2008 12:37 PM