Recommended partition size RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I got a 1.5 tb WD disk to setup WHS on an old XPS400 lying around. I am trying to figure out the best recommended partition sizes. I was thinking on creating two partitions; one for WHS and other as Data. Would a partition size of 40GB be enough for WHS or do I need to increase it? I would luv to hear your suggestions! Thanks in advance.
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 5:11 PM

All replies

• I'd let WHS setup the partitions on its own during installation. It will setup a 20 GB partition for itself and the other will be for data.
    http://www.wwiivehicles.com
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 5:31 PM
  • You have no influence how Windows Home Server is configuring the volumes during setup.
    In the most cases (besides some bugs or using the WHS different than expected by design) the 20 GByte the system reserves for the system volume are enough.
    If the machine is self built and you know what you do, you could increase the size only after the first reboot (by booting from a Vista DVD and using diskpart with appropriate parameters). All later attempts to change the size of WHS volumes are bringing a higher risk for your configuration integrity.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 10:58 PM