Can't Access a New Shared Folder RRS feed

• Question

• I can access (read and write) to all the folders that were setup upon initial installation of WHS.  In the Console, I click on the 'Shared Folders' button and I can see all the shared folders.  I click the '+Add' button to make a new shared folder.  I put in the share name and a description.  I unchecked the 'folder duplication' checkbox.  I then clicked next and set permissions to full.   The next screen says the shared folder was successfully added. 

Here's the problem.  I cannot access it.  At all.  When I try, it says Windows cannot access.....

I can't understand why I can access the origianal folders but not the new one.

Also, a note, I am using it with Guest Account Enables with Full Access.  When making the new share, the guest account is what come up and I set to full access.

I have also tried going to the shared folder on the server itself and adding Guest to the permissions section with full access rights.  This will allow me to view the folder, but still can't write to it or modify it.  I am under the inpression I can do everything from the console right?

Can anyone PLEASE help me. 
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 11:03 PM

All replies

• larkinja said:

I can access (read and write) to all the folders that were setup upon initial installation of WHS.  In the Console, I click on the 'Shared Folders' button and I can see all the shared folders.  I click the '+Add' button to make a new shared folder.  I put in the share name and a description.  I unchecked the 'folder duplication' checkbox.  I then clicked next and set permissions to full.   The next screen says the shared folder was successfully added. 

Here's the problem.  I cannot access it.  At all.  When I try, it says Windows cannot access.....

I can't understand why I can access the origianal folders but not the new one.

Also, a note, I am using it with Guest Account Enables with Full Access.  When making the new share, the guest account is what come up and I set to full access.

I have also tried going to the shared folder on the server itself and adding Guest to the permissions section with full access rights.

You should undo this step as accessing/modifying the shares directly from the server is unsupported and can lead to problems later on.

larkinja said:

This will allow me to view the folder, but still can't write to it or modify it.  I am under the inpression I can do everything from the console right?

Can anyone PLEASE help me. 

Do you have your Full Access on your Guest account for each of the other shares?  If you disable the Guest account, then reboot your client PC, are you still able to access any shares?

Sunday, February 15, 2009 1:04 AM
  • Hi,
    after creating a new shared folder you need to logoff and logon again (or reboot) on your client for being able to access it. This is, because the token you got at establishing the last connection does not know about your new permissions.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:31 AM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Hi,
    after creating a new shared folder you need to logoff and logon again (or reboot) on your client for being able to access it. This is, because the token you got at establishing the last connection does not know about your new permissions.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

While I have seen that happen on occasion, that's not always true.  I just created a new share through the Console, gave myself Full Access, and I was able to access it and create a file in it without having to log out.
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:00 PM
  • I have tried rebooting.  I have rebooted the client and the server.  Still no access.  I removed the guest from the permissions like you said. 

I did notice that all the shared folders have a user RO_7 or some other number and a RW_7 or some other number.  The first had read access and the second has full access. 

The new share I created does not have this.  Could this be an issue.  Just for testing sakes, I added similar named users to my new shares, and vioala, it works.  I don't know if this is safe or not, and I am sure you are going to tell me that it is unsupported and may cause problems. 

Can anyone tell me what those users represent, or why they are missing from the new share?  What kinds of bad things could come from doing what I did? 

At this point I am debating on re-installing the whole server.  Also, if I were to do that, would the data I have in the shares be deleted.   I currently have about 4TB of data in there and moving it out of the server would be quite a headache. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:27 PM
  • I tried disabling the guest account and no, I no longer have access to any shares.  I re-enabled it, and I now have access again, but only to the ones created by the WHS setup, not the ones I added.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:38 PM
  • larkinja said:

I tried disabling the guest account and no, I no longer have access to any shares.  I re-enabled it, and I now have access again, but only to the ones created by the WHS setup, not the ones I added.

Probably your user name and password on your local computer don't match any users on your server. Please see this FAQ for informaiton on how to bring them into alignment.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, February 18, 2009 12:54 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by larkinja Saturday, February 21, 2009 2:07 AM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:14 PM
  • Its not a problem of users.  Everything works fine with Guest account on.  Just not the new shares. 
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 2:20 AM
  • larkinja said:

Its not a problem of users.  Everything works fine with Guest account on.  Just not the new shares. 

That it works when the guest account is active, and doesn't work when it isn't, is a symptom of a user name/password mismatch. If Windows can't authenticate you on the remote server (your WHS machine) with the user name/password it knows about, it tries the guest account.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 3:25 AM
  • larkinja said:

I have tried rebooting.  I have rebooted the client and the server.  Still no access.  I removed the guest from the permissions like you said. 

I did notice that all the shared folders have a user RO_7 or some other number and a RW_7 or some other number.  The first had read access and the second has full access. 

The new share I created does not have this.  Could this be an issue.

Yep, that's your problem.

larkinja said:

Just for testing sakes, I added similar named users to my new shares, and vioala, it works.  I don't know if this is safe or not, and I am sure you are going to tell me that it is unsupported and may cause problems. 

Right again. ;)  Did you try deleting the newly created share, rebooting the server, then create it again?

larkinja said:

Can anyone tell me what those users represent, or why they are missing from the new share?

They represent the 2 groups (read-only and read/write).  As for why they're missing, I don't know.

larkinja said:

What kinds of bad things could come from doing what I did? 

Probably nothing, but you never know for certain...

larkinja said:

At this point I am debating on re-installing the whole server.  Also, if I were to do that, would the data I have in the shares be deleted.

Not if you do Server Reinstallation.

larkinja said:

I currently have about 4TB of data in there and moving it out of the server would be quite a headache. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Saturday, February 21, 2009 6:16 AM