product key RRS feed

• Question

•  

i turn on my computer and then an alert saying that  my product key is invalid comes up.. i got my cd box and everything but i cant type neither the number 1 or number 0... i dont know whats wrong.. i would love if u guys helped me to solve this...

thanks

Alex!

Friday, January 25, 2008 3:59 AM

Answers

• Step #1

(If you access to the start button)

1) Click the Start button

2) Type cmd in the Start Search field

3) At the top the Start window, you will see cmd.exe

4) Right Click cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: cscript %windir%\System32\slmgr.vbs /ilc %windir%\System32\licensing\ppdlic\Security-Licensing-SLC-ppdlic.xrm-ms

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times

(If you Do Not access to the start button)

1) Click the option Access computer with reduced functionality

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: cscript %windir%\System32\slmgr.vbs /ilc %windir%\System32\licensing\ppdlic\Security-Licensing-SLC-ppdlic.xrm-ms

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step set #2

2) Type: slui.exe 3 and hit the Enter key

3) Type in the Product key from the sticker on your computer

4) Click the Next button.

5) You will be asked if want to Activate, click ok

6) It will attempt to Activate by the internet and will return an Invalid Key error (this is ok, continue to step 7)

7) Click the Start button

8) Type: slui.exe 4 and hit the Enter key

9) Select your location in the drop down menu and click the Next button

10) The next screen provides the number to call to Activate by Phone

NOTE: when you call that number, you will first hear an Automated Voice that will try to Activate Vista for you. If the Automated Voice gives you an option to talk to a Live Activation Rep, select that option. If not, do not enter any numbers. This should force the Automated Voice to transfer you to a Live Activation Rep. Trying to Activate thru the Automated Voice will not work, in your case, only thru the Live Activation Rep will your Activation be successful.

Once completed, you may need to reboot twice.

1) Click the option 'Run with reduced functionality'

2) A internet Browser should come up, type: %windir%\system32\cmd.exe in the browser address bar

3) A window with a black background will come up

4) Type: slui.exe 3 and hit the Enter key

5) Type in the Product key from the sticker on your computer

6) Click the Next button.

7) You will be asked if want to Activate, click ok

8) It will attempt to Activate by the internet and will return an Invalid Key error (this is ok, continue to step 9)

9) Return to the window with the black background

10) Type: slui.exe 4 and hit the Enter key

11) Select your location in the drop down menu and click the Next button

12) The next screen provides the number to call to Activate by Phone

NOTE: when you call that number, you will first hear an Automated Voice that will try to Activate Vista for you. If the Atomated Voice gives you an option to talk to a Live Activation Rep, select that option. If not, do not enter any numbers. This should force the Automated Voice to transfer you to a Live Activation Rep. Trying to Activate thru the Automated Voice will not work, in your case, only thru the Live Activation Rep will your Activation be successful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step set #3

1) Open Internet Browser

2) Type %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.

3) Find the file CMD.exe

4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)

6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing

7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar

8) Type: cd %windir%\system32

9) Type net start slsvc

10) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)

11) Reboot Twice

12) You may be required to Re-Activate. Use the Activate by Phone method outlined below

Activate by Phone steps:

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enter and follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

NOTE: The key to this process is that you need to talk to a Live Activation Rep! When you first call, you will be interacting with an Automated Voice, either select the option to talk to a Live Rep or if there is no option, do not enter any numbers. This should force the automated voice to transfer you to a Live Rep.

Friday, January 25, 2008 4:23 AM
  • Please follow these steps:

1)    Log on
    2)    Choose "run computer with REDUCED functionality- this will open an internet browser.
    3)    Click on FILE on the icons above.
    4)    Click on "Open file".
    5)    Open COMPUTER>WINDOWS>SYSTEM32.
    6)    Once you get to system 32, Scroll down to the filename "
    cmd".
    7)    Right-click on it then
    Run it As Administrator.
    8)    Minimize your browser then you should see a "black window" where you need to type something.
    9)    Now this is the most important: type:
    slmgr.vbs -rearm
    10)  If successful, a message would appear saying the operation is successful.
    11)  Restart your Computer.
    12)  Log on: Your problem should be solved.

How to Get Out of Reduced Functionality Mode in Vista:http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/121866-reduced-functionality-mode.html

Saturday, February 16, 2008 5:32 PM
  •  Zugg16 wrote:

Hi I typed in my Product Key from the Certificate of Authentication and I typed it in correctly many times but it is saying that I have an invalid key...plz help me out i really need to use word....

Thanks

Vanessa

Computer manufacturers often install a trial version of Microsoft Office.  If you are getting a prompt to type in a Product Key when opening a Microsoft Office program, it is likely the trial period is over and you'll need to purchase a license (product key) for Microsoft Office.

The product key affixed to your computer is for Windows Vista (the operating system) and not for Microsoft Office.  Please review the following:

How to determine whether you have a trial edition of a 2007 Office suite or program installed:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927920/en-us

How to convert a trial version of a 2007 Office suite or program to a full retail perpetual license version:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927756/en-us

How to buy the 2007 Microsoft Office suites:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suites/FX101678741033.aspx?ofcresset=1

Monday, June 2, 2008 4:19 AM

All replies

• Step #1

2) Type cmd in the Start Search field

3) At the top the Start window, you will see cmd.exe

4) Right Click cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times

1) Click the option Access computer with reduced functionality

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step set #2

2) Type: slui.exe 3 and hit the Enter key

3) Type in the Product key from the sticker on your computer

4) Click the Next button.

5) You will be asked if want to Activate, click ok

6) It will attempt to Activate by the internet and will return an Invalid Key error (this is ok, continue to step 7)

7) Click the Start button

8) Type: slui.exe 4 and hit the Enter key

9) Select your location in the drop down menu and click the Next button

10) The next screen provides the number to call to Activate by Phone

NOTE: when you call that number, you will first hear an Automated Voice that will try to Activate Vista for you. If the Automated Voice gives you an option to talk to a Live Activation Rep, select that option. If not, do not enter any numbers. This should force the Automated Voice to transfer you to a Live Activation Rep. Trying to Activate thru the Automated Voice will not work, in your case, only thru the Live Activation Rep will your Activation be successful.

1) Click the option 'Run with reduced functionality'

2) A internet Browser should come up, type: %windir%\system32\cmd.exe in the browser address bar

3) A window with a black background will come up

4) Type: slui.exe 3 and hit the Enter key

5) Type in the Product key from the sticker on your computer

6) Click the Next button.

7) You will be asked if want to Activate, click ok

8) It will attempt to Activate by the internet and will return an Invalid Key error (this is ok, continue to step 9)

9) Return to the window with the black background

10) Type: slui.exe 4 and hit the Enter key

11) Select your location in the drop down menu and click the Next button

12) The next screen provides the number to call to Activate by Phone

NOTE: when you call that number, you will first hear an Automated Voice that will try to Activate Vista for you. If the Atomated Voice gives you an option to talk to a Live Activation Rep, select that option. If not, do not enter any numbers. This should force the Automated Voice to transfer you to a Live Activation Rep. Trying to Activate thru the Automated Voice will not work, in your case, only thru the Live Activation Rep will your Activation be successful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step set #3

1) Open Internet Browser

2) Type %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.

3) Find the file CMD.exe

4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)

6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing

7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar

8) Type: cd %windir%\system32

9) Type net start slsvc

10) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)

11) Reboot Twice

12) You may be required to Re-Activate. Use the Activate by Phone method outlined below

Activate by Phone steps:

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enter and follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

NOTE: The key to this process is that you need to talk to a Live Activation Rep! When you first call, you will be interacting with an Automated Voice, either select the option to talk to a Live Rep or if there is no option, do not enter any numbers. This should force the automated voice to transfer you to a Live Rep.

Friday, January 25, 2008 4:23 AM
  • Hi Carey.

Having the same issue wiht my Vista as most people it seems i.e not recognising the product key anymore. I dont have access to the start button but when i try your steps for this when i type the slui.exe 4 command it does not bring up the box with the list of numbers to call, it just closes all windows and brings me back to the screnn with the 3 options (reduced funcionality, type in product key and contact dell). just wondering if you would be able to find out the number for me to call to do a phone activation. I livein the UK in southeast england if it needs to be that specific.

thanks in advance.

Dan

Saturday, February 16, 2008 4:39 PM
  • Please follow these steps:

1)    Log on
    2)    Choose "run computer with REDUCED functionality- this will open an internet browser.
    3)    Click on FILE on the icons above.
    4)    Click on "Open file".
    5)    Open COMPUTER>WINDOWS>SYSTEM32.
    6)    Once you get to system 32, Scroll down to the filename "
    cmd".
    7)    Right-click on it then
    Run it As Administrator.
    8)    Minimize your browser then you should see a "black window" where you need to type something.
    9)    Now this is the most important: type:
    slmgr.vbs -rearm
    10)  If successful, a message would appear saying the operation is successful.
    11)  Restart your Computer.
    12)  Log on: Your problem should be solved.

How to Get Out of Reduced Functionality Mode in Vista:http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/121866-reduced-functionality-mode.html

Saturday, February 16, 2008 5:32 PM
  • May You Help Me With Buying A New Product Key?

Thursday, March 6, 2008 1:29 AM
  • hey im a student who jus bought a new laptop. a cd was not included in the box with any product key information. what do i do? my word pad does not work that well and i need to use it urgently.

Thursday, March 6, 2008 11:00 AM
  • hi

good morning

Friday, March 7, 2008 8:53 AM
  • the system is telling me my product key is incorrect....

Friday, March 7, 2008 8:58 AM
  •  

I have exactly the same problem, I have typed in the product key roughly 100 times and it just won't have it, I'm running out of time aswell as I have had to put in the trial offer code to use it and that will run out soon.
    Tuesday, March 18, 2008 12:45 PM
  •  alexblue wrote:

i turn on my computer and then an alert saying that  my product key is invalid comes up.. i got my cd box and everything but i cant type neither the number 1 or number 0... i dont know whats wrong.. i would love if u guys helped me to solve this...

thanks

Alex!

Saturday, April 5, 2008 3:23 AM
  • I really need help with my product key characters or activate it on line with number

Saturday, April 5, 2008 3:31 AM
  • I follow these steps and get to this in the CMD.EXE window:

Input Error: Can not find script file "F:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService
    \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing\slmgr.vbs".

F:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLice
    nsing>

Next!?
    Thanks,
    RKD993
    Monday, April 7, 2008 3:48 AM
  • I've solved this so no need for reply.

Of perhaps more interest is that the cause of the problems that led me to this Product Key post were symptoms and messages that appeared to be due to an activation or validation problem but are in fact due to pre-release SP1 timing out.

Hopefully knowing this can save some others time and effort. Microsoft is working on a post or short paper on this issue as I understand it. I won't take up your time with the long story but the short version is:

a) check your desktop and see if it says "Build 6001" in the lower right corner

b) check if you have the word "Evaluation" in the lower right corner

c) if you do there is a good chance that you do not have either a genuine activation or validation problem but that at some point you installed Vista pre-release SP1 (I run a number of machines, 2 of them had this, the others did not...long story) and it is now timing out - under this scenario the errors and warnings are seriously misleading

d) the pre-release build must be uninstalled to install the RTM one which is now available

e) I wasted considerable time with both the Activation people and some of the Tech Support people before getting higher level Tech Support who identified the problem

f) if your restore points do not go back far enough you will have to manually uninstall the early release SP1 - this will probably take you a fair bit of time as Vista does a lot of tidy up work with such a massive uninstall

g) you may get side effects such as the Uninstall and Change options in Control Panel/Programs going missing - makes it rather hard to do the uninstalls that are required. There is a good post here http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/11/09/vista-uninstall-change-or-repair-programs-and-updates-button-disappear-and-not-showing/ on this problem ... more time gone... [BTW, you should also notice that in Vista the "Uninstall" buttons do not appear in the Windows Update section if the item you have highlighted has a dependency with other items that must be uninstalled before it...so, use the article cited with care...be sure you first sort the Windows and other updates in Recent to Old date order and then work down the list...you will see the "Uninstall" buttons come and go depending on the dependency relationships.]

I hope that this can spare some of you some pain, time and effort. If this scenario is not yours then it probably is an issue covered by some of the other posts here.

My problems took nearly 2 weeks to resolve (counting down from the "License will expire in 14 days" warning) between normal life events (work), chasing MSFT Tech Support, Google, Forums, Blogs etc. I'm actually not too bad at trouble shooting but have been reminded to never ever trust the symptoms (and messages) too much. At no point in my searches did anything or anyone raise the scenario I have described above as the source of the messages. In the last day (counting down by hours!) a Microsoft high level support person contacted me and was able to identify the problem.

Unfortunately I had already rebuilt one machine (thinking it was really faulty licensing or corruption), the other machine I started to rebuild and that failed (I'll save that for a separate report to the tech people) and that one I'm still working on...but the total time taken so far on that machine is nearing a total elapsed time of 10 hours...and I'm still going. I'll post an update when it is actually back up and working properly.

Many lessons learned here.

Russell

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 2:00 PM
  • I don't understand why I hit start search and when I click on cmd.exe it don't go any where.

Could I just the phone number to call

Sunday, May 18, 2008 4:49 PM
  • Hi I typed in my Product Key from the Certificate of Authentication and I typed it in correctly many times but it is saying that I have an invalid key...plz help me out i really need to use word....

Thanks

Vanessa

Monday, June 2, 2008 1:42 AM
  •  Zugg16 wrote:

Hi I typed in my Product Key from the Certificate of Authentication and I typed it in correctly many times but it is saying that I have an invalid key...plz help me out i really need to use word....

Thanks

Vanessa

Computer manufacturers often install a trial version of Microsoft Office.  If you are getting a prompt to type in a Product Key when opening a Microsoft Office program, it is likely the trial period is over and you'll need to purchase a license (product key) for Microsoft Office.

The product key affixed to your computer is for Windows Vista (the operating system) and not for Microsoft Office.  Please review the following:

How to determine whether you have a trial edition of a 2007 Office suite or program installed:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927920/en-us

How to convert a trial version of a 2007 Office suite or program to a full retail perpetual license version:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927756/en-us

How to buy the 2007 Microsoft Office suites:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suites/FX101678741033.aspx?ofcresset=1

Monday, June 2, 2008 4:19 AM