Unable to purchase elearning courses through elearning Cart RRS feed

• Question

• I wonder if anyone can help with this issue. Currently I am unable to purchase elearning material through the elearning cart.

The steps to reproduce the error are given below:

Step 1 - from the Microsoft E-learning page, ( https://www.microsoftelearning.com/default.aspx ), click View Cart.
    Step 2 - from the Shopping Cart page, click the "Checkout" button.
    Step 3 - from the Microsoft Software License Terms, click "I accept these license terms", then click the "Next" button.
    Step 4 - On the details page, I would have expected my details to be picked up automatically from my Live account, but the form is blank. I completed my details then click the "Add or Update" button under "Payment method". This results an error page - reporting error 2002, after 30 seconds or so.

I've been to billing.microsoft.com where I can see I have no fewer than 12 accounts - one for each time I have tried and failed to buy an e-learning product. Each of these accounts has nothing more than my name and address recorded against it - there are no payment details for any of these accounts.

There is an FAQ on billing.microsoft.com on "How do I use a new payment method?" which says the following:

<<
    Sign in to the Billing and Account Management website.
    Under Your payment methods, click the payment method you want to change.
    Under Payment method activity, click Go to payment method information.
    Under Payment method information for this account, click Use a different payment method.
    Click Add new credit card, and then click Next.
    On the Confirm transfer page, confirm the balances and services you want to transfer, and then click Next.
    Enter the information for the new payment method, and then click Save.
    >>

Things go wrong for me at step 2 - I don't have a "Your payment methods" option.

I emailed about this issue to emeamcp@msdirectservices.com on 27th March having tried for the previous three days to resolve the issue by phone. As yet, this issue is unresolved.

As an aside: During one of the first phone calls on this matter it was suggested by the Microsoft employee I was speaking to that it might be an idea to use Google to search for an answer to this... For once, Google didn't have the answer though. :)

Thanks in advance,
    Gavin

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 7:56 AM

Answers

• Gavin Meiklejohn said:

I've found a workaround for this issue - it's far from ideal and probably asks more questions than it answers...

As an experiment, I decided to sign up for a new Hotmail account. After doing that I was able to go to Elearning, add a product to my cart, go through the steps to purchase the product and this time I was able to add a payment method.

It's not ideal as my learning will now be spread across two accounts - and I would still prefer the issue to be resolved properly - but at least I'm no longer restricted to finding a 3rd party supplier of the paper vouchers.

Don't know if you want to give this a go Scott?

Alicia - it would be interesting to find out why someone with a Hotmail account that must be at least five years old can't purchase products, but someone that creates a new account today can do so immediately.

br,
    Gavin

Hi Gavin-

You've got mail.  I found your support case and sent you mail.  I'll wait your response.

Thanks-
    Alicia

Program Manager, Sustained Engineering Team
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 6:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Gavin-

I just posted a note to your other thread.  If you are interested, I'd like to work with you further to address this problem you are having.  If you are interested, let me know and I can start to track down the request that you mention you submitted.  Please let me know but do not post your email address or contact info directly into the forums!

Thanks-
    Alicia

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 8:06 AM
  • Hi Alicia,

I would be interested in working with you to resolve this - thanks.

The reply I had from emeamcp saying that the issue had been reported to the technical department had the following title:
    MCP Ref: C 1946669\ Unable to purchase Microsoft e-learning products - Message 2002 (KMM1027385 (KMM10311578I84L0KM)

I don't know if any of these numbers would help you track down the error report?
    I've got screenshots, but obviously the point just before the error occurs shows my full contact details, so I can't provide it here.

Thanks again.
    -Gavin
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 10:39 AM
  • Thanks Gavin-

I am tracking this case down and will be in touch with you.

Alicia
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 4:57 PM
  • I have been having the exact same issue for over 4 weeks now. After a long and involved search for support I was able to report the issue to Microsoft Online Customer Service on 10-Mar-2008 - "SRX1061071233ID - Unable to add payment method when attempting to checkout e-learning".

Since then Customer Service has replied to me 8 times - once to say the issue had been resolved by a fix that was released on 19 Mar (it didn't make any difference) and seven more times "we are awaiting an update, we will keep you informed."

Now that over a month has passed, needless to say I am not impressed!
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:46 AM
  • I've found a workaround for this issue - it's far from ideal and probably asks more questions than it answers...

As an experiment, I decided to sign up for a new Hotmail account. After doing that I was able to go to Elearning, add a product to my cart, go through the steps to purchase the product and this time I was able to add a payment method.

It's not ideal as my learning will now be spread across two accounts - and I would still prefer the issue to be resolved properly - but at least I'm no longer restricted to finding a 3rd party supplier of the paper vouchers.

Alicia - it would be interesting to find out why someone with a Hotmail account that must be at least five years old can't purchase products, but someone that creates a new account today can do so immediately.

br,
    Gavin
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:06 AM
  • Scott Heldon said:

I have been having the exact same issue for over 4 weeks now. After a long and involved search for support I was able to report the issue to Microsoft Online Customer Service on 10-Mar-2008 - "SRX1061071233ID - Unable to add payment method when attempting to checkout e-learning".

Since then Customer Service has replied to me 8 times - once to say the issue had been resolved by a fix that was released on 19 Mar (it didn't make any difference) and seven more times "we are awaiting an update, we will keep you informed."

Hi Scott--

Let me track down this support request and I will be in touch with you.  Can you tell me what currency you are trying to purchase with?

Thanks!
    Alicia

Thursday, April 10, 2008 9:08 PM
  • Gavin Meiklejohn said:

I've found a workaround for this issue - it's far from ideal and probably asks more questions than it answers...

br,
    Gavin

Very interesting Gavin.  I will be in touch with you soon.

Thanks-
    Alicia

Thursday, April 10, 2008 9:09 PM
  • Did you find a solution to this, besides creating a new hotmail account, my subscriptions are already tied to my current hotmail account and quite frankly I don't need another e-mail address to track.
    Friday, April 11, 2008 3:05 PM
  • sbcole said:

Did you find a solution to this, besides creating a new hotmail account, my subscriptions are already tied to my current hotmail account and quite frankly I don't need another e-mail address to track.

Hello-

If you are having the same problem as Gavin, this is something that we are already addressing.  I'd be happy to work with you as well.  Have you already contact support on this issue?  If so, do you have a case number and I can track you down that way?

If you don't have a case number, please let me know and I'll determine the next best steps.

Thanks-
    Alicia
    Friday, April 11, 2008 7:52 PM
  • Gavin Meiklejohn said:

br,
    Gavin

Hi Gavin-

You've got mail.  I found your support case and sent you mail.  I'll wait your response.

Thanks-
    Alicia

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 6:40 AM
  • Scott Heldon said:

I have been having the exact same issue for over 4 weeks now. After a long and involved search for support I was able to report the issue to Microsoft Online Customer Service on 10-Mar-2008 - "SRX1061071233ID - Unable to add payment method when attempting to checkout e-learning".

Hi Scott-

You should have received an email from me regarding your open ticket.  Please let me know if you have further problems accessing your courses now.

Thanks-
    Alicia
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 4:53 AM
  •  Hi
    I am also having a problem purchasing a course Collection 5161: Advanced Development with the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Foundation (formerly part of Collection 2956) .

I already have an elearning subscription, but when I try to purchase a new Course collection, I get the following message:

We have encountered a problem with your request. Our support team has already been made aware of this issue and it will be resolved within two business days. Your subscription will be adjusted for this delay. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your patience while we resolve this issue.

I tried to call the Support information that was given on the website, but it put me straight through to the XBox Live customer support.  When I asked for a phone number for the Elearning website, they put the phone down on me.  Not terribly helpful.

Is it possible to find out what is going on, as I urgently need to access this course.  The error message on the website just sounds like a generic message to me.

Many thanks
    Helen Bennett
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:52 PM
  • Have been having the same problem for the last 2 or 3 Months. Can't believe it is taking this long to resolve.

I made a different live account and it didn't work.
    I tried to purchase e-learning vouchers and could not get any partners to sell me one. (which is a joke)

I made a subscription to Windows Live One Care in order to add a credit card account to my live account. 
    I've never received a refund for this even though my msn billing account says that my account was credited (Surely it doesn't take 6 weeks to process?).

I made a complaint but no one at Microsoft seems wiling or able to help. I am fed up of ringing the e-learning team who can't help me so thought I'd post here.

A ray of hope for Microsoft though, the Microsoft Partners Team have been great (even though they have no power to help me)

It makes me sad :'(
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 3:12 PM
  • haha Ye, I love that it takes you to xbox live. The people at the Microsoft Operator have no idea where to route you either, I got back to the same woman 3 times in 20 minutes. She had to keep apologising, was more amusing than anything else
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 3:14 PM
  • HBennett said:

Hi

I am also having a problem purchasing a course Collection 5161: Advanced Development with the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Foundation (formerly part of Collection 2956) .

I already have an elearning subscription, but when I try to purchase a new Course collection, I get the following message:

We have encountered a problem with your request. Our support team has already been made aware of this issue and it will be resolved within two business days. Your subscription will be adjusted for this delay. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your patience while we resolve this issue.

I tried to call the Support information that was given on the website, but it put me straight through to the XBox Live customer support.  When I asked for a phone number for the Elearning website, they put the phone down on me.  Not terribly helpful.

Is it possible to find out what is going on, as I urgently need to access this course.  The error message on the website just sounds like a generic message to me.

Many thanks
    Helen Bennett

Hi Helen-

I am sorry to hear of your experiences with the Learning Manager Support.  I would be happy to help you resolve what you may be experiencing.  Did you open up a support ticket by chance?  That's will be the easiest way for me to get in touch with you.  If you can let me know the support ticket, I can track it down.

Thanks-
    Alicia
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 7:35 AM
  • furbys said:

Have been having the same problem for the last 2 or 3 Months. Can't believe it is taking this long to resolve.

I made a different live account and it didn't work.
    I tried to purchase e-learning vouchers and could not get any partners to sell me one. (which is a joke)

I made a subscription to Windows Live One Care in order to add a credit card account to my live account. 
    I've never received a refund for this even though my msn billing account says that my account was credited (Surely it doesn't take 6 weeks to process?).

I made a complaint but no one at Microsoft seems wiling or able to help. I am fed up of ringing the e-learning team who can't help me so thought I'd post here.

A ray of hope for Microsoft though, the Microsoft Partners Team have been great (even though they have no power to help me)

It makes me sad :'(

Hello Furbys-

Not to give you the same message as Helen but here goes :) 

I am also sorry to hear of your experiences with support.  I would be happy to help you resolve what you may be experiencing.  Did you open up a support ticket by chance?  That's will be the easiest way for me to get in touch with you.  If you can let me know the support ticket, I can track it down.

Thanks-
    Alicia
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 7:36 AM
  • Thanks for replying. I've given up trying in all honesty but if you can get me somewhere that would be great.

I have a few, not sure which is more relevant so just posting most of them:

MCP Ref C 1982042 /e-learning problem (KMM10366378I84L0KM)

MCP Ref: C1929851 / Re: e-learning Issue (KMM10217966I84L0KM)

Purchasing e-learning courses (KMM10198857I84L0KM)

• Edited by furby01 Thursday, May 1, 2008 8:56 AM typo
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 8:55 AM
  • Hi furbys,

Are you in the UK by any chance?
    If so I can give you the name of the company I used to purchase some Elearning vouchers.

Question to Admin people: Am I allowed to recommend the services of a 3rd party here?

-Gavin
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 3:49 PM
  • furbys said:

Thanks for replying. I've given up trying in all honesty but if you can get me somewhere that would be great.

I have a few, not sure which is more relevant so just posting most of them:

MCP Ref C 1982042 /e-learning problem (KMM10366378I84L0KM)

MCP Ref: C1929851 / Re: e-learning Issue (KMM10217966I84L0KM)

Purchasing e-learning courses (KMM10198857I84L0KM)

Don't give up!  I can certainly help you!  Let me track these down and I'll be contacting you.

In the meantime, if you can send me an email to learnmgr@microsoft.com I can get back to you quickly.  
    Thanks!

Alicia
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 8:43 PM
  • Gavin Meiklejohn said:

Hi furbys,

Are you in the UK by any chance?
    If so I can give you the name of the company I used to purchase some Elearning vouchers.

Question to Admin people: Am I allowed to recommend the services of a 3rd party here?

-Gavin

Hi Gavin--

Feel free to post the message to the forum.  No problem :)

I am going to work with Furbys directly as well but that way if someone else runs into this problem and are from the UK, they can purchase vouchers :)

Alicia

Thursday, May 1, 2008 8:49 PM
  • For anyone in the UK looking to purchase Elearning Vouchers, I can recommend ITS Feda. 

http://www.its-feda.com/shop/microsoftelearning/ will take you to the online store where you can order the vouchers.

You need to register with them in order to use their online shop.

Assuming they've got the vouchers in stock, you should receive them in 2 or 3 days.

Hope it helps.

I have no association with ITS Feda, other than as a satisfied customer.

-Gavin
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 9:28 PM
  • Wow, thank for the quick responses, I will certainly e-mail Alicia, maybe I can still get a positive experience out of this :)

Great to get a recommendation Gavin, no one at Microsoft was able to give me one (not their fault I suppose) I am in the UK and will register with them tomorrow.

Thursday, May 1, 2008 10:20 PM
  •  

I am having the same issue described in this thread, and I am equally unimpressed by the Microsoft E-Learning site, I was unimpressed even before I found I was unable to pay for the course I wanted to take as I found the site to be slow and the shopping cart to be very old-fashioned in terms of how slow and unresponsive it is in navigating between pages and how often it needs to post-back)

Anyway I am now beside myself with rage. I have reserved time this weekend to do some Micorosoft training and I find I cannot pay for any courses and I don't know when I will find time again to do this.

I keep getting an error with absolutely no explanation of the problem, it just asks me to try again - I have tried 2 different credit cards!

http://learning.microsoft.com/Error.aspx?ID=2

“There has been a problem with your transaction. Your credit card was not charged and your e-learning products will remain in your Shopping Cart. Please try again later.”

Not very enlightening!

Saturday, May 17, 2008 3:12 PM
  • Ye, all a a bit dissapointing and always upsetting when you can't give away your money :D

I was hoping this might be fixed but alas no. Come on Microsft win back our faith. Don't make me go and buy a mac...
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 10:58 AM
  • i cannot proceed to check out...I get an error message saying that the page has connection issues.  Please fix so I can spend money  :)
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 4:13 PM
  • Gavin Meiklejohn said:

I wonder if anyone can help with this issue. Currently I am unable to purchase elearning material through the elearning cart.

Step 1 - from the Microsoft E-learning page, ( https://www.microsoftelearning.com/default.aspx ), click View Cart.
    Step 3 - from the Microsoft Software License Terms, click "I accept these license terms", then click the "Next" button.
    Step 4 - On the details page, I would have expected my details to be picked up automatically from my Live account, but the form is blank. I completed my details then click the "Add or Update" button under "Payment method". This results an error page - reporting error 2002, after 30 seconds or so.

I've been to billing.microsoft.com where I can see I have no fewer than 12 accounts - one for each time I have tried and failed to buy an e-learning product. Each of these accounts has nothing more than my name and address recorded against it - there are no payment details for any of these accounts.

There is an FAQ on billing.microsoft.com on "How do I use a new payment method?" which says the following:

<<
    Under Payment method information for this account, click Use a different payment method.
    On the Confirm transfer page, confirm the balances and services you want to transfer, and then click Next.
    >>

Things go wrong for me at step 2 - I don't have a "Your payment methods" option.

I emailed about this issue to emeamcp@msdirectservices.com on 27th March having tried for the previous three days to resolve the issue by phone. As yet, this issue is unresolved.

As an aside: During one of the first phone calls on this matter it was suggested by the Microsoft employee I was speaking to that it might be an idea to use Google to search for an answer to this... For once, Google didn't have the answer though. :)

Thanks in advance,
    Gavin

I'm having the same issue when trying to purchase a e-learning course. I'm trying to get the course
    Collection 8638: Fixed Assets in Microsoft Dynamics AX 4.0 but I'm having no success. Does anyone know when this will be resolved. I saw Gavin's email about setting up another hotmail a/c but to be honest I have enough email a/cs without getting another one.
    Seamus Lowney
    Friday, May 23, 2008 10:39 AM
  • Wow, this is un-believable that Microsoft has a eLearning checkout that performs so badly.  I can not even find a number to call to submit the error.  And when I do talk to someone they keep giving the wrong department.  Maybe the developers should purchase some eCourses and learn how to develop an solid web site.  An error message like this "An error has occurred for your request, please try again later" is high school level programming. 

Friday, May 23, 2008 7:04 PM
  • ssly80 said:

Gavin Meiklejohn said:

I wonder if anyone can help with this issue. Currently I am unable to purchase elearning material through the elearning cart.

<<
    >>

Thanks in advance,
    Gavin

I'm having the same issue when trying to purchase a e-learning course. I'm trying to get the course
    Collection 8638: Fixed Assets in Microsoft Dynamics AX 4.0 but I'm having no success. Does anyone know when this will be resolved. I saw Gavin's email about setting up another hotmail a/c but to be honest I have enough email a/cs without getting another one.
    Seamus Lowney

Hi Seamus-

Please contact me at learnmgr@microsoft.com so I can gather more information on the issue you are experiencing as well as help you try and resolve the issue.

Thanks-
    Alicia
    Program Manager, Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    Monday, June 2, 2008 8:18 AM
  • T Dean said:

Wow, this is un-believable that Microsoft has a eLearning checkout that performs so badly.  I can not even find a number to call to submit the error.  And when I do talk to someone they keep giving the wrong department.  Maybe the developers should purchase some eCourses and learn how to develop an solid web site.  An error message like this "An error has occurred for your request, please try again later" is high school level programming. 

Hi T Dean--

If you are experiencing purchasing problem, please contact me at learnmgr@microsoft.com to discuss this issue further.

Thanks-
    Alicia
    Program Manager, Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    Monday, June 2, 2008 8:19 AM
  • I would advise anyone who is having similar problems to contact Alicia directly. Although she is a busy person I have found that she can immediately resolve this issue for individual users and advised that Microsoft are actively investigating and working on a fix for this issue.

It took a while to make contact but I found Alicia to be extremely helpful.

Hope this helps, Rohan
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 10:19 AM