none
"There was an error" on submitting post RRS feed

• Question

• A new scourge since late last week, clicking the Submit button produces "There was an error" occasionally.  Clicking it again makes it go.  No pattern.
    Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:46 AM

Answers

• I don't recall which browser you are using, but if you happen to be using Firefox and also happen to have FireBug installed the Host in the Response for the Ajax SubmitReply call, along with the Time/Url would be helpful in finding a specific Log Event.

If not, next time it happens, could you respond here with the approximate time and a link to thread it occured on. We'll just have to brute force through all of the logs :)

TIA

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 1:51 AM

All replies

• I have seen this only, if the session cookie timed out. Workaround in this situation was to open the forum in another IE window and sign in there before resubmitting on the original window.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 7:26 PM
  • No, specifically not the cookie expiration.  It wasn't due to expire and banging on Submit won't work if it really expired.
    Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:08 PM
  • Oh "banging on submit" gives me from time to time this nice red error message below the submit button (I have not the exact wording now), and opening another instance of the forum (which shows that I need to sign in) and signing in again on that new instance allows to click submit successfully (due to the refreshed session cookie I would assume).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:58 PM
  • Sigh.  No, I know the different versions of "There was an error", I've had plenty of exposure.  This is a new one, let's call it variety E.  If I knew what exception on the server caused E, I would certainly document it.  But all I got is "There was an Error".
    Hans Passant.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 1:38 AM
  • I don't recall which browser you are using, but if you happen to be using Firefox and also happen to have FireBug installed the Host in the Response for the Ajax SubmitReply call, along with the Time/Url would be helpful in finding a specific Log Event.

If not, next time it happens, could you respond here with the approximate time and a link to thread it occured on. We'll just have to brute force through all of the logs :)

TIA

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 1:51 AM