Money 2005 running on Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have managed to load Money 2005 on my Windows 10 pc and all works well except.

Switching between Money Accounts ( I have accounts for different family members) is very slow ie two minutes or more and having closed Money it keeps running for about two minutes which means I cant reopen a Money account.

I asked these question on the MS Forum and was advised to install Internet Explorer 6 as MS Money  needs this to function correctly. I cant find a simple  IE 6 download, only patches etc and even these I cant load to Windows 10. I had IE 11 installed and deleted it but have read that once IE 11 is installed I cannot install an earlier version ie IE 6 even if  IE 11 was deleted. Has anyone faced this problem and if so have you managed to overcome the above?

Many thanks

Best wishes

Thomas Gordon 

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 11:04 AM

All replies

• Try this, tweaked from the writeup at https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2016/06/06/eliminating-the-online-updatingdelays-and-errors-when-opening-money/

1.  Run "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" which you will find in Windows Administrative Tools
    2. Click on “Outbound Rules”, select “New Rule” > select “Program” > select “This Program” and enter or browse for the path (which should be
      %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Money 2006\MNYCoreFiles\msmoney.exe
      – you can try just pasting this in)
    3. select “Block this connection” ; leave the defaults ; and then name your new rule something like “Microsoft Money block”. 

I think what you are calling an account would usually be called a Microsoft Money File. An account in Money is something listed in the Account List.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 1:44 PM
  • Cal's advice is, as usual, excellent. But what, I hear you say, is going on? Well, the slowness is MSMoney trying to communicate with servers that no longer exist - Cal's solution uses the firewall to stifle it. Otherwise it's just a bit of a nuisance. The IE6 thing was something of an issue when the 1st version of Windows 10 arrived but was later fixed and no longer applies so don't worry about that.

I have numerous accounts on the same MS Money file (as opposed to different files) and find this a bit more convenient but if you have big files then it may be too much hassle...

Dr AS

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 6:02 PM
  • One more potential issue.  Did you maybe install Money 2005 from a disk?  If so, be aware that it does not have an important patch that was issued after the release of Money 2005.  In that case, use the link in the second "sticky" post in this forum to download and install a patched version Money 2005.  See:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

Note that the Money 2005 link is to the UK version.  If, perchance, you don't want the UK version, select a suitable version from that link.  If you choose US Money Plus, you will need to do an additional step as described in the first "sticky" post in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/important-patch-for-money-plus-maybe-20062007-mnyob99dll?forum=money

Post back if this works for you or if you need any additional help to accomplish all this.

Bill Becker

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 9:57 PM
  • A huge thank you to the person who suggested a fix for my problem that eliminates my 90 second start up when switching between money accounts. I have separate accounts for each family member.

However as I continue to be able to down load bank statements etc, I can not use this suggested fix in its entirety , as it stops all internet server connections that money is trying to make with old redundant servers as well as my bank. My solution is very simple. When I want to switch between  Money family accounts I just disconnect the internet and reconnect when the selected file is open. Perhaps not ideal but simple and it works. If anyone has a fix to identify and remove redundant server connections that would be great. In the mean time a big thanks to you all for your suggestions.

Best wishes

Thomas Gordon

Sunday, November 27, 2016 5:52 PM
  • However as I continue to be able to down load bank statements etc, I can not use this suggested fix in its entirety , as it stops all internet server connections that money is trying to make with old redundant servers as well as my bank. My solution is very simple. When I want to switch between  Money family accounts I just disconnect the internet and reconnect when the selected file is open. Perhaps not ideal but simple and it works. If anyone has a fix to identify and remove redundant server connections that would be great.

The "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" entry should not interfere with using a separate browser such as Internet Explorer. You may be using the browser inside of Money. If so, consider using IE or other browser to connect to the bank, and have firewall setting in place.
    Sunday, November 27, 2016 5:58 PM