Unusual Backup Situation RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using SyncToy 2.1 without problems to backup images from my computer drive to External Disk 1 and then later from Ext Disk 1 to Ext Disk 2 using the Echo command. Images are stored by year (e.g., 2010) and then by sub-folder. Since I don't often access images from past years, I want to delete the year folders before 2010 on my computer and then rely on the two external drives for storage, thus freeing up room on my computer drive.

I realize that the next SyncToy Echo backup will see the missing folders on my computer and will then delete the corresponding folders on Ext Drive 1, which I don't want to happen (I could restore from Ext Drive 2 but that's clumsy). So, what the best technique?

Thanks, dan

Monday, May 23, 2011 4:06 AM

All replies

• Try using the Contribute option rather than echo..
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 10:29 PM
  • Thanks Andy but now I'm confused. If I use Contribute, Synctoy will look at the deleted image folders in my computer and then NOT delete these folders on the ext drive, and that's good. But if I understand this, I'll never delete anything on my ext drive again by continuing to use Contribute. And if I ever return to Echo in the future, then I'll lose these image folders on the ext drive, and that's bad. The only way I can think of doing this is to allow the year folders (e.g., 2010) to remain on the computer but remove all files and folders within them and then exclude this folder from participating in the Echo. This seems a poor method, even if it would work. Ideas?   dan
    Friday, May 27, 2011 3:13 AM