It would be great to have the ability to spin down drives that are not needed... RRS feed

• Question

• Any chance we can get that option? I'd rather not have a dozen drives going all out when none may be needed at the time. Reduce heat and reduce power usage.
    Or is their a 3rd party option?
    Monday, July 7, 2008 11:40 PM

Answers

• If I recall correctly there's an add-in from some folks in Germany that can do what you're asking about. You should check out the forums on We Got Served; Terry has forums for just about every add-in out there.
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 3:38 AM

All replies

• If I recall correctly there's an add-in from some folks in Germany that can do what you're asking about. You should check out the forums on We Got Served; Terry has forums for just about every add-in out there.
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 3:38 AM
  • Well it might not be as neat as doing it through the console, but i have done this by remote desktopping into the server, and then setting the power save options, just like any other PC, it works perfectly, so when I access a hard drive that has not been used it clearly "spins up", and I am saving a lot of power with 9 drives.

Since you normally only sets this once for your server, and never changes it, this should be ok.

kurunir
    Monday, July 14, 2008 5:44 PM