none
How to make a backup of the folder pairs? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

A couple of weeks ago I first installed SyncToy 2.0 and created some folder pairs with it. At the moment I'm using an MS-DOS batch script to echo some of the folder pairs in one run. This really works great!

Now I need to reinstall my Windows XP machine and I was wondering if it is possible to backup my existing folder pairs in SyncToy? Can anyone tell me how to secure the pairs and their settings? Or do I need to recreate all of them after reinstallation of Windows and SyncToy?

Another, related, question: all source folders (left folders) exist on my D: partition and remain there. Only my C: partition will be refreshed by the reinstallation of Windows. Will SyncToy "see" that there has nothing changed to my source folders after reinstallation of SyncToy? Or will it try to echo everything again as if it was never done before?

TIA!

Sunday, January 4, 2009 8:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Timothée, 

For your first question, it is possible for SyncToy 2.0 to backup folder pair settings. According to Page “Saving a Folder Pair” of SyncToy Help file, ‘The folder pair information is saved in a file named "SyncToyDirPairs.bin," (on Windows Vista: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0\SyncToyDirPairs.bin, on Windows XP: "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0\SyncToyDirPairs.bin").’. 

So you can back up your folder pairs settings by backing up the “SyncToyDirParis.bin”. I have tried reinstalling SyncToy and copying the backed up “SyncToyDirPairs.bin”, and it works in simple scenarios.

For your second question, I tried many different simple sync scenarios, including removing .dat files in each folder, and the “SyncToyDirPairs.bin” works well so far. So this approach SHOULD work in your scenario. But I still suggest that you had better preview your sync session (using the “Preview” Button) before applying the first sync, if possible. And please notice that the first sync might be slow.

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, March 2, 2009 9:26 AM