Known problems with TechNet Vista SP1 slipstreamed ISO build? (Sorry - Glitch means I need to post here) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm very sorry, but it's necessary that I post here, rather than in the Vista forums. For reasons I can't sort out, I'm currently unable to post to the regular Vista forums. (I've tried cookies, popup blocker, logging in. Nothing's working.) I can't even find a way that doesn't use the interface that allows me to email the forums moderators / webmasters! (If you want to report this for me, please be my guest.)

I am writing to ask what whether I am using the latest build that MS TechNet has issued for slipstreamed SP1 Vista.

I have had to let my TechNet membership lapse (for financial reasons), so unless someone from MS is kind enough to supply a replacement download link to a different ISO build (those one time, non-transferable download links), the one I have now is the one I'm stuck using. The only other installation DVD I have is the original x64 "upgrade" disc, pre-SP1, which is one of the very first builds -- so even more likely to have "issues." (If you are kind enough to offer a new ISO build, please let me know how I can reach you. If you're a forum moderator, you should have my profile email address.)

The only reason I'm asking is that I had a horked installation of Vista that I made around February (which has failed to updates since July), and I need to reinstall now, after trying unsuccessfully to repair the Windows Update process with Microsoft Update tech help. But I don't want to waste time reinstalling if this ISO build has any known issues. An MVP in a newsgroup suggested that my "horked" install may have come from a pre-RTM SP1 package. I want to check with you guys to find out if there were any known issues with the TechNet slipstreamed version that was posted.

The build date on some of the files on my ISO (like setup.exe) are still from January, which is before SP1 RTMed. It could be there hasn't been any evolution in some of these components. I also know for a fact that I am using the version posted to TechNet in February, and that the hash value checked out OK. It's this one:

File

File Size

SHA-1 Hash

Thanks for your attention. I do appreciate your taking a few minutes to help me with this.

• Edited by Stephen Holm Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:48 PM Can't post this information.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:43 PM

Answers

• AKA,

Sorry but we can only help you with Windows Genuine Advantage situations.

Take care,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager
    Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:50 PM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:47 PM

All replies

• AKA,

Sorry but we can only help you with Windows Genuine Advantage situations.

Take care,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager
    Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:50 PM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:47 PM
  • Mr. Holm,

As I explained, I've attempted to post to the correct forum, but am encountering a glitch. This is rather frustrating as it is. This seemed the closest alternative venue. Where else do you suggest I post? Or can you tell me how to submit a website bug -- for the old newsgroup pages? (They're beginning the migrations this week, so it could be related to that.)

Thank you,

a.k.a.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:52 PM
  • I'm going to post to the general Technet Forum Feedback zone. I had to go back through the OLD interface in order to find the link to it!!! (Rrrg.)

Seems to be problems reported with this build, actually.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tnfeedback/thread/533ce092-ddd3-47e7-b2fe-2b893096fe3b

Regards,
    a.k.a.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:00 PM
  •  Final remark. The hash info is already available online -- through the TechNet blogs, in fact.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:13 PM