Another WHS remote access problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have just built my first home server, with an OEM copy of WHS, this connects to my Gigabit LAN along with 2 PC's (three, when the HTPC is rebuilt) and 2 network printers. The gateway is a single Linksys router (WAG354G).

My problem is that I can't setup the domain name for remote access, when I run the setup wizard it asks for my Windows Live email and password, then always responds "incorrect email or password".

I have also noticed that the router test never completes, it gives me a green tick for the first 4 (UPnP, Web site available, Remote access available, router accepting Web site connections), but it just hangs on the 5th test (Verifying the router is accepting remote access connections), however several posts on this forum suggest not to worry if all the tests don't finish, just try the Domain name setup, so that's what I tried.

I have given my WHS a static IP address, and manually configured port forwarding on the router for ports 80, 443, & 4125, and I tested this with Shields Up, which showed 80 and 443 open, 4125 closed, all other ports stealthed.

To test connectivity I opened a remote desktop connection to WHS, then launched IE from the WHS desktop and connected to Windows Live, I was able to sign in with the same email and password. I also tried creating a new Live ID and signing in with that from the domain setup wizard, but still the same error.

I'm starting to run out of ideas now, my last thought (as I was writing this) is that maybe the WHS is applying different password rules than the Windows Live website, so I'm going to try changing my password a few times to see if that helps...  watch this space.

Aaargh!
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 9:04 AM

Answers

• Well, what do ya know!

Changing my Windows Live password (as already tried) to something similar, doesn't help, but changing it so it didn't start with several numbers did the job!

I'm not going to give any more details of the changes I made to the password (for obvious reasons), but my best guess is that the leading numbers were the problem (even though the same password worked fine via the Windows Live website).

Code bug, anyone (or is this classed as a feature)?

Grrrr
    • Marked as answer by Aaargh Splat Sunday, March 8, 2009 10:33 AM
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 10:32 AM

All replies

• Well, what do ya know!

Changing my Windows Live password (as already tried) to something similar, doesn't help, but changing it so it didn't start with several numbers did the job!

I'm not going to give any more details of the changes I made to the password (for obvious reasons), but my best guess is that the leading numbers were the problem (even though the same password worked fine via the Windows Live website).

Code bug, anyone (or is this classed as a feature)?

Grrrr
    • Marked as answer by Aaargh Splat Sunday, March 8, 2009 10:33 AM
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 10:32 AM
  • Could you please submit a bug report for this on Connect? For completeness, please include server logs collected using the Windows Home Server toolkit.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 1:05 PM
  •   Bug report has been submitted.
    Monday, March 9, 2009 10:35 AM