SteadyState Printing Issues - Access Denied RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having issues printing to a network printer when SteadyState is active.  Please keep in mind that this setup worked with the older Share Computer Toolkit.  I installed a network printer on my print server and setup a domain user account to print to this printer.  My shared PC's are domain joined and the shared profile account is a local account to those PC's.  To install the printer I simply \\servername and typed in the user account to access that printer and double-clicked on it and the queue would install.

I followed the same steps and can print to this printer before I activate SteadyState.  All printing is from IE and no other applications; the error message that I recieve is Access Denied.  I systemactially disabled features within SteadyState to see where the lockdown is occuring and found that with low security settings I'm still blocked from printing; no restrictions it prints.  The only thing i have not done yet is install a local printer to see if that works, but that defeats the purpose of having only 1 network printer and raises the cost if I have to install local printers on all these computers.  Any help is appriciated!

Thanks

D

Monday, February 11, 2008 3:01 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Dennie,

Thank you for posting here!

Have you continue to narrow down which restriction blocked the print feature?

Although I have no environment to test, it seems the following restrictions are most suspicious. You can select Low Restrictions first and then uncheck them to test:

Windows Restrictions\General Restrictions\Prevent access to the command prompt

Windows Restrictions\General Restrictions\Prevent access to Microsoft Management Console utilities

If the issue remains, uncheck other restrictions to continue until we find the one which caused by the problem.

If there is any update, feel free to post back!

Beset Regards,

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:51 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Dennie,

Although I have no environment to test, it seems the following restrictions are most suspicious. You can select Low Restrictions first and then uncheck them to test:

Windows Restrictions\General Restrictions\Prevent access to Microsoft Management Console utilities

If the issue remains, uncheck other restrictions to continue until we find the one which caused by the problem.

Beset Regards,

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:51 AM
  • I guess you didn't read the orginal port, because within that post I said I systemactically started with the most restrictive settings to the lowest and it failed to work.  Only when I selected NO restrictions I was able to print.  Thanks for taking the time to review the post. 

Shawn Shao - MSFT wrote:

Hi Dennie,

Beset Regards,

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 3:10 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

My understanding was & is with Low Restrictions, we cannot print. With No Restrictions selected, we can print. If there is any misunderstanding, feel free to correct me.

My thought is, if “No Restrictions” allows printing, “Low Restrictions” restricts printing, the printing feature should be restricted by some or one restriction in the “Low Restrictions”. As you can see, several restrictions are enabled if you have “Low Restrictions” selected. What we need to do is find the criminal one within these options. I just listed some possiable options under Low Restrictions”which may block the print action.

The ideal result is that we find the restrictions which caused the print problem.  Even we have “High Restrictions” selected, after disabling the option(s) we found, print still works.

If anything is unclear, feel free to post back.

Regards,

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:28 AM
  • I am having this exact same issue with SteadyState 2.5 on a Windows Vista machine. We have a VB script that runs on login that adds a network printer to the SteadyState user. With the No restrictions selected it allows the script to run on login but as soon as ANY restrictions are turned on it gives an access denied error when trying to run the vbscript.
    Friday, August 1, 2008 3:52 AM