Recreate / copy special permission on shared folders RRS feed

• Question

• I encrypted (truecrypt) one of my drives with server shares and all looked fine.

Problems arised when I wanted to move / rename shares on this drive. A look around on some forums tells my this is caused by the encryption, not solvable.

I'd like to create te share on a proper drive and copy the files, this works.

Except for e.g. the video's share which has special permssion. Does anyone know how I recreate or copy these permissions?

Friday, May 17, 2013 5:37 PM

Answers

• I encrypted the whole drive (E:) / partition. It is mounted preboot. The encryption was done after the shares where created on the drive.

Just like the system drive, with two partitions. One (C:) for the OS, one for data (D:). the fly

In the dashboard shares on D: are managable, the shares on E: can't be managed (system data e.g. remaining size on drive not shown).

It might be size matters, drive E: is a 2TB drive, drive D: just 400GB.

I solved this issue by xcopying all data to a new drive (w/h encryption). Then, on the fly, removed assignment of drive E: and reassign it to the new drive.

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:47 PM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

How did you encrypt the drive? If the shared folder was created on the encrypted drive, maybe we could not change the permission of the folder.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, May 28, 2013 10:14 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, May 28, 2013 10:14 AM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:28 AM
  • I encrypted the whole drive (E:) / partition. It is mounted preboot. The encryption was done after the shares where created on the drive.

Just like the system drive, with two partitions. One (C:) for the OS, one for data (D:). the fly

In the dashboard shares on D: are managable, the shares on E: can't be managed (system data e.g. remaining size on drive not shown).

It might be size matters, drive E: is a 2TB drive, drive D: just 400GB.

I solved this issue by xcopying all data to a new drive (w/h encryption). Then, on the fly, removed assignment of drive E: and reassign it to the new drive.

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:47 PM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:28 PM