CRM 2011 Customer Portal without LIVE ID RRS feed

• Question

• I wonder if it is possible to use the CustPortal without Live ID?

as I plan to connect my customers to this portal it looks like I will have to create LiveID-s for all of them? Why can't it be just with internally created credentiuals without using LiveID?

Thanks in advance

Saturday, February 12, 2011 10:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• Yes, it is possible to use the Customer Portal without Live ID. The documentation for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 isn't available yet, but the process is identical to the CRM 4 version of the portal. This blog walks through how to use the Active Directory Membership Provider: http://www.shanmcarthur.net/crm/developers-corner/customer-portal-modifications-for-demo-vpc-without-internet-connectivity.

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, February 15, 2011 3:27 PM
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 12:30 AM
  • Just remember that we designed the portals to follow ASP.NET conventions.  The portals are designed to work with any legacy SSO solution that uses the IPrincipal mechanism of ASP.NET, or any membership provider that you plug into your site.  The example on my blog site is to use the Active Directory Membership provider that ships with ASP.NET.  I chose that provider because I wanted to set up the portals to run in a VPC that was completely disconnected from the Internet.  You can use any membership provider, including the SQL membership provider (also distributed with ASP.NET).  Another option is that the commercial versions of these free portals are from Adxstudio and they have additional membership providers, including a contact membership provider that allows you to use CRM to manage your users.  I am also experimenting with Azure ACS and WIF (using a claims-base model)  and will likely have some blog articles on that soon too.

Shan

Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:48 PM
  • Hi Shan,

Can you please describe How to use 'Web Login Name' and 'Web Login Password' attributes (which are in contact entity) as cutomer portal login id and password?

Thanks,

Gaurav Goyal
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 6:11 PM
  • There are no "web login name" and "web login password" attributes - did you upgrade from another solution?

If you are looking to use contacts for authentication instead of Live ID, this functionality is not included in the free Microsoft portals, but is included in the commercial edition available from Adxstudio.  Please refer to this page to see all of the additional functionality availble in the commercial version: http://www.adxstudio.com/adxstudio-xrm/comparison

Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:16 PM
  • Hi

I've been doing some work with the 2011 Customer Portal and have started documenting the conversion from LiveID to Forms Authentication using the SqlMembershipProvider (ASPNETdb) http://intergr8it.net/?p=216

As Shan mentions in this thread, the portal follows many of the .net patterns so its a reasonably straightforward process to switch in any provider you like.

Richard

Richard Barclay
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:52 AM
  • Hi Shan,

Could you please show me how to change the authentication of CRM 2011 Customer Portal into IFD using ADFS 2.0 

Regards,

D

Thursday, December 1, 2011 12:15 AM
  • Here is a good page that describes the connection string formats necessary to connect to CRM, including IFD deployments:  http://community.adxstudio.com/Default.aspx?DN=8c4ce1a6-25f4-4ae6-b917-63cdb49f4fd0 
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 12:34 AM
  • Hi Shan, 

Thank you for your reply. I got the connection string details when i was executing websitecopy.exe. I would prefer if you could show me how to change the web config settings for IFD using ADFS 2.0. 

for example,

<add verb="*" path="LiveID.axd" type="Microsoft.Xrm.Portal.Web.Handlers.LiveIdWebAuthenticationHandler, Microsoft.Xrm.Portal"/> 

should not be the true when the environment is IFD. I am not aware of how to change this to accommodate for IFD. Please pardon my lack of knowledge. 

Regards,

D

Thursday, December 1, 2011 5:44 AM
  • That snippet you provided from the web.config is related to the Live ID authentication provider.  Please remember that there are two different authentication mechanisms at play here.  The portal authenticates to your CRM (which you now have configured as IFD), and your customers authenticate with the portal using whatever membership provider you have hooked in.  The portal accelerator ships with an implementation for using Live ID.  Changing your CRM to use IFD does not require any changes for your portal authentication mechanism - these two authentication mechanisms are completely independent of each other.  The only change you need to make to the portal to connect to your CRM using IFD is to change the CRM connection string in the web.config.

<connectionStrings> <add name="Xrm" connectionString="ServiceUri=http://orgname.crm.domain.com; Username=username; Password=password"/>

Thursday, December 1, 2011 4:43 PM
  • Hi Shan, Thanks for your informative reply. It helped me to figure out the authentication part halfway. I have a question regarding hosting the portal on an IFD environment. What code changes/ web configuration changes required if I host the portal on an IIS Server which is Internet Facing? I would be glad if you could help me out to understand this. Regards, D
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 9:01 PM
  • The customer portal is designed to be installed on an IIS server that is internet facing.  There are no code or configuration changes to do that.  You have to think of this as multiple tiers.  Your customer is going to use the Internet to interact with your portal, which means it has to be externally available.  The portal in turn integrates tightly with CRM, so the portal needs access to the CRM web services.  Your CRM does not have to be exposed externally.  It would be best practice to have your CRM in a back-end security zone and your portal hosted in a front-end security zone that has internet access. 
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 10:07 PM